ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i finally gave up on trying to work on my Z so i took it to a shop and they got it running but i got about two miles down the road and smoke started to some out from under the hood. So i guess they never road tested it. I took it back and they said they can't doanything else to it and i should take it to an import shop. I take it to one and the guy looks at it and said that it needs a new head gasket but my car has 180k miles and he said he would recommend that i get get a new engine installed and it'l,l cost me about $2000 or put a new head gasket in for around $1000. I've only had my car for 5 months and have only been able to drive it for one of those months. Should i sell it? rebuild the heads? (the guy said that if i opt to have it rebuilt it'll never quit smoking, he said that the oil and antifreeze mix turns corrosive and has aten away my piston rings, etc. is that even true????) I need some good advice on what to do.. sorry its so long and if the question is stupid and if i have bad grammar

·
Registered
141 Posts
What kind of an engine rebuild keeps the original piston rings? If you have the engine rebuilt by a professional shop, you should have practically a new engine, and if the job is done right, you shouldn't have any problems for years. That guy is full of it.
The questions are: do you like the car enough to fix it right and keep it for a long while? Is the rest of the car decent enough to fix the engine and keep it? If you answer no to any of these questions, then just get rid of her asap.
Good luck. ;-)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only paid $900 for the car because it got hit by a pizza delivery guy and the driver door wouldn't open at the time, but it does now. The car has cold air intake, tokico shocks and struts, lowering springs, front strut bar, and a homemade boost controller by the guy i bought it from. I bought it for its good mechanical shape because the guy before just put a new head gasket in it less than a year ago and it had new brakes very strong transmission even though its an auto, i know i'll catch flak for that and the timing belt had about 25K on it. The question is i guess that if i put a new head gasket in and resurface the heads will it reall smoke and be ruined by the "corrosive" mixture of antifreeze/oil like the mechanic said. he also said that a rebuild kit for the VG30t would be more than buying a new/used engine. is that true??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man, I don't feel so bad. I got mine 85Z the 30th of December. I was jipped by a dealership. I think I have had about a good month's worth of driving out of it.

I hope we will have some luck with these Z's. The guys on here have been so helpful. Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do the work yourself.

n.a.'s are easier than turbos, but can be done slowly and methodically. The key here is do you have something you can drive around for a few weeks while you get the machining done on the heads?

As far as the rings go, if you are getting a mix of a-freeze in there, acid is the least of your problems. You can change out all the engine fluids after you replace the head gaskets and it will be just fine.

BTW have you pressure tested each cylinder to see if you only have to do one side? That cuts down on the work and worry.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Frankly, when I do head gaskets now I do both sides. It isn't very much extra work once you have it all torn down and enavibily(sp) the opposite side goes out a few months after the first one is done if you don't.

This happened to me once and I'll never replace just one side again unless it is a bad rebuild that I have to fix or something like that.* I mean 1/2 more and $14-20 in parts. Just not worth not doing it. IHMO

*Had 454 freshly rebuilt, installed it in the car and water and oil leaks. Machinist said didn't understand; those type of gaskets are supposed to seal just by tightening them down. Said just pull the motor, bring it back, I'll fix it. Screw that! I pulled the intake, heads and used hi-temp gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket and put it all back together. Never leaked again and was running 9 sec quarters until I sold it a couple years back. Maybe this will help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, but with one exception. . . No need to tear down the turbocharger side UNLESS you need to. If it is sealed. Leave it alone, unless you want to change it out for kicks. There's a lot more work on the turbocharger side than the passenger side of the zxt.

BTW, never replace a Z head gasket with anything except a NISSAN gasket. Anything else will blow, especially in a turbo... especially ifyou've turned up the turbo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.