ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come to some conclusion that the 6 pin relay that is on the right side of the engine compartment under the fusable links is making my car die. Does anyone know what that relay is called so that I can order the right one. When I have the car running and tap on the top of the box it will kill the car. It will start right back up. Also does anyone know why my car would keep cracking the distributor cap?

· Registered
571 Posts
What kind of car do you have?
The 280ZX has nothing under the link box.
We have many brainy z people but only 2 that a psychics and the charge 5 bucks.
When your distributor cracks does the rotor vaporize?
What is the condition of the rotor after the loss of integrity?
Anything look worn?

Madeline the Z Babe

· Registered
5,716 Posts
Probably dirty contacts

My suggestions, no matter what year Z you're talking about:
1) Remove, clean, recrimp (where applicable) and reattach EVERY electrical contact under the hood. This includes injector connectors, battery terminals and ground wires. If that doesn't cure 90% of your car' ills, then
2) get a factory service manual and trace your problem logically with the excellent troubleshooting 'trees' in that book — which is what an actual Datsun mechanic would have done (using the same book) if you would have brought the car to him. . . back when there WAS a Datsun.

Or, you can do what just about everybody else does before coming to this forum for help: spend several hundred dollars and three weekends installing 15 new components, only to realize you didn't need any of them.

Sorry if I'm getting cyincal in my old age.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
or get a parts car

like i did and find that everything that i need is worn out and tired on my parts
car also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.