ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have removed my passenger seat and discovered 3 little boxes with wiring protruding from them. one looks like an amp, and i cant identify the other 2, they have a clear plastic cover over them, and are connected together. what are all these things? did this car have a factory amp? the wiring for the stereo and amp were all hacked up by the PO to install an aftermarket stereo.

both devices are badly coroded, and rusty, the amp being the worst. i need to know what they all are, and what there function is so i may either fix/replace them, or whatever.

BTW, i just got this car friday, so yea, i know nothing of this car.
it is a red 1988 300zx 2+2 GLL (at least in pretty sure its a GLL)

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Any fries? I read a study that says close to 70% of cars in America have at least one french fry under the seats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, no frys yet, but i havent taken out the drivers seat yet either. i need to pull that one too, cause the seat doesnt go forward all the way. i think the tracks are dirty. it is a full power seat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey good farkin' luck with that seat! If you figure out how to get it out...... POST IT!

Mine acts the same way...front bolts are a breeze...the back ones???????

·
Registered
123 Posts
well i do now that the bigist one is the main computer and like domdogg123 sed one is the security alarm and the other one might be for the digital dash but im not sur if you wan't to replace them your best bet would be to go to a junk yard but if you got cash up the [email protected]@ then go to nissan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
um... have you tryed removing the 3 bolts, and 1 nut holding the seat to the car? thats all i did, came right out. suprised the **** out of me that i didnt break something, the way these crappy imports are. (im a GM guy)
this car is really rusty, and coroded, and obviously is new to callifornia.

so this thing has a factory alarm? or... had one. i dont have the key fob for it so should i remove it? will it do any harm? the body of the thing, and the harness connection is badly coroded, should i clean them? you all know these cars, i dont.

also i read in my haynes manual, and online that these things have a voice warning system, where is the module for this? i dont hear it, and i want to try it out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'm talking DRIVER'S full power seat...one that won't move forward very far.

Please...remove your seat and post your method in detail.........over and out.....

·
Registered
657 Posts
bet you find a treasure when you get that seat out.......... i dont know how many thing ive dropped under my seat that were never seen again.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
The factory amp is under there but was probably bypassed with the installation of the new system. The voice warning system aka bitchy bettey is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. She probably works but was bypassed as well if the po installed all new wiring to the speakers instead of using the stock ones which is common in cars with common ground wiring. any search for bitchy betty or radio installtion should set you in the right direction. In my 86 the security system isn't so much of a key fob thing, but more of a thing that the car does on it's own when shut off and locked. AZ_ZBUM has a good sight so I'd wander over there and follow some links. Although if you were called fucktard in school alot you might experience some emotional relapse.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
fa-kin-a: is there something wrong with your seat?

move it all the way to the front, tilt the seat forward, and use an extension to get to the bolts. Couldn't be simpler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE:importturbos "well i do now that the bigist one is the main computer and like domdogg123 sed one is the security alarm and the other one might be for the digital dash"

well, the main computer is in the passenger foot well, and i dont have a digital dash, so that poo poos both of those. one of the boxes said security, so i would believe that, and it was wired to the other box under the plastic. the third one was unmarked, and looked like a giant heatsink with electronics inside. it was not covered.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
There are 2 boxes there for the alarm, the other one is the factory stereo amplifier.

Quote Az-zbum:
two are the alarm. one is the factory amplifier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
was bitchy betty installed in all cars, or just certain ones? i have a GLL.

yes the factory amp was bypassed, and brutaly, and it looks lihe the wiring was replaced.

how can i check for the voice warning system, and hook it up again? i want to try it out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My power driver's seat...at some point...would no longer move foreward very far...it typically is all the way back.

Wanted to get to the motor and so forth under it and lube the "screw" or whatever to get it to work agian.

I've tried 2Xs to get it out and can't find the bolts at the back.

Question...are they on the floor...positioned vertically?

Inside of the rails?

Same size as the ones at the front?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
http://www.az-zbum.com/information.stereo.shtml

Voice Warning (aka Bitching Betty) (84-86 GL and GLL models only):
The voice warning only came in the 84-86 GL and GLL models. SF models and 87-89 Z31s did not have the voice warning system. It works by stopping the signals going to the front left speaker(s) and replacing it with a signal of its own. Even without a stereo in the car, the voice warning would still work if the speaker is still there and hooked up to the stock wiring. If you want to keep the voice warning, you rewire the rear speakers and use the stock front wires. The voice warning unit is located above and behind the ECU in the passenger kick panel. It's hidden by a piece of insulation. It is possible to totally rewire the stereo system and use totally new speaker wire and still retain the voice warning. There are many ways to do it. One way is to run the wires for the front left speaker to the voice warning unit speaker lead inputs. Then run the speaker lead outputs to the front left speaker. Another option is to add a dedicated speaker (any basic full range speaker will work) and simply run the outputs to this speaker.

·
Registered
123 Posts
befor you rewire it try it out pull your E-break up just untill the break light go's on in your dash and drive 5 MPH's or open your door and go 5 MPH's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.