ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need 4 new tires for my 240Z. I went to the local tire shop and the guy asked me if I wanted to go stock, because sometimes if you don't there can be clearance problems. I told him that I would go stock and he recommended Dunlop D60A2's. THe size is p195/70 with a rating of HR14. What the **** does that mean anyway? Are these good tires? Theyre going to charge me about $340 for tires, installation, balancing, and alignment. Should I do it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: what kind of tires should I get?</b>

I just bought the same tires for my '77 280 Z. They are excellent tires. I have run them on two other Z's and have nothing but good to say about them. As far as the price, it is a little difficult to comment - what is the breakdown between tires and alignment? I paid about $240 for the same size, mounted, balanced and taxed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z Rated is the only way to go!

I got some 15x7 wheels for my Z and just purchased some Bridgestone Comp ta's for 115 each. They stick like ****! I have yet to even make them squeel around the corner. If you want handling stick with a Z rated tire and look for some used wheels so you can step up to 15 or 16's. Travis 77z

·
Registered
235 Posts
I also just got the dunlop D60's about a month ago for my 75. I am very impressed by this tire. I got the stock size (195/70/hr14) and am glad i did because the previous tires were oversized and my car had a tendency to dart around on the road. I ordered the tires from the tirerack (www.tirerack.com) for $44 each. I don't think you could get a better price than that. have fun

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what everybody forgot to explain is what p195/70 HR14 actually means.

195 is the width of the tire in mm's (that metric stuff us crazy canuks use), and 70 is the percentage of that width that the tire is high. So the tire is 195mm wide and 136mm high. (if I did my math right) The HR14 referrs to the speed rating H (which is what, 160?) and the size of your rim which is 14". Dont worry, took me a long time to figure that out too.
BTW: I have 215/60 14's on the rear and 205/60 14's on the front of my 79 280ZX.
S

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sue, Math OK, speed rating off a bit

Sue,
Your're correct on the math for using the aspect ratio and width of the tire to determine its height. As for speed ratings:
S = 112 Continuous
T = 118
H = 130
V = 150
Z = Somewhere above 150
Also, generally, tread life is inversely related to it's speed rating. The higher the speed rating the faster the tire will wear out.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RE: Sue, Math OK, speed rating off a bit

Phantom wrote:
-------------------------------
Sue,
Your're correct on the math for using the aspect ratio and width of the tire to determine its height. As for speed ratings:
S = 112 Continuous
T = 118
H = 130
V = 150
Z = Somewhere above 150
Also, generally, tread life is inversely related to it's speed rating. The higher the speed rating the faster the tire will wear out.

Sorry, I was using km's not miles. I keep forgetting you guys use that weird backwards stuff down there. &-)
S

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.