ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has been making strange noise nd its comming from the power sterring/water pump area. I'm not 100% sure its the water pump thats why I'm asking, but all signs point toward the water pump. I've been losing coolant and i have no clue where its been going.

Just like to know before it gets me stuck someplace. I think I wanna take my dads advice, "If your not sure whats wrong drive it for a while and it will tell you". Good advice I guess but I dont feel like getting stuck.

Justin T
'80 280ZX
'86 300ZX coming soon?

· Registered
1,340 Posts
Re: what kind of sounds does a bad water pump make

I've never noticed any sounds, but it will usually drip coolant right beneath the pully part of the water pump when it's going bad. Wait to see if someone has any other advice.

· Registered
222 Posts

Try removing your belts and just near the pulley, give your water pump a wiggle, any movement isnt good, the try rotating the pump, it should be smooth with no catching or rumbling

· Registered
10 Posts

>as gearhead says check for coolant around the bottom of the waterpump there is a telltail hole on the bottom that will drip, trouble is it is hard to see and sometimes the coolant will evaporate so fast from engine heat that you won't see it at all.
>trust me though if in doubt change it!!! while baby sitting my sons 78 the waterpump bearing went causing the fan blade to eat the almost new radiator and the impeller to eat the rear half of the casing which is also the the front engine and timing chain cover! if i hadn't had a junk parts car sitting here it would have been real real expensive. as it was it was only a major pain in the a--.
>the pump isn't expensive i think i only paid about $30-50 for a new one i wouldn't buy a rebuild... after my experience and i think if i was driving every day i'd almost change it every other year rather than taking the chance of having to do that job again. popeye

· Registered
263 Posts

Easy way to find out what is making the noise is to pull the fan belts 1 at a time
when the noise stops you've found the problem child now on the h3o leak check the small hoses on the manifold by the throttle I had one there that made me crazy very slow , stopped when the motor heated up>>>>>>>>>>

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

It's not really a grinding sound, more like a whining but Its not really like any power steering whine I've ever heard though. Last night around 12am I put a gallon of antifreeze in, today(its around 20 degrees BTW) I jerked off the the power sterring belt off let it warm up for a few mintues drove it around the block and it didnt make a sound. Put the belt back on drove it around some more not a sound. I got it good and warm and the sound comes back everyonce in a while. Took it out on the highway and ran it up to 70-80 mph in 2nd gear(automatic) not a sound from the front of the motor.

I havent tried driving for an extended period of time with no power steering belt yet, I may just do that right now. I still havent rules out the water pump, cause of the loss of coolant thing.

Thanks for the advice BTW.

Justin T

· Registered
685 Posts

As was stated before the shaft of a bad pump will snap especially higher rpm if it does it WILL destroy the radiater so be careful buzzing the engine untill you find the problem . It seems to me just from what you are saying about having to add coolent all the time that the pump is vary much in question. Do you think that the noise you are hearing could be a vee belt? to eliminate the sound if that is what it is , this only is temp. rub a candle or soap , on the beltcontact area then start the engine and see if the sound goes away. Gary Portland Or.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.