ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, The drivers side window on my 1970 240Z is almost impossibl;e to roll up or down. I removed the door liner and in the boottom of the door found:
1) a strip of u-shaped rubber gasket which appears to fit in the rear sash
2) a small u-shaped piece of rubber (1 inch) which I am guessing also fits the rear sash
3) a small roller shaped like a beer keg (~1inch long ~1/2 inch in diameter) mounted on a metal bracket which has obviously broken loose from somewhere.

Questions, Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the gasket and the small rubber piece? or should I just glue the old ones back in (they don't appear to be in that bad of shape)? Is the small piece of rubber at the top or bottom? What is that roller? Where did it come from? How am I ever going to get that spring clip back on the crank? I thank you in advance for any assistance. Bruce

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hi Bruce-------------I would just use the rubber parts that you have over again, as long as they are in good shape. The roller keeps tension on the window glass so it doesn't rattle--AIR, it's mounted to the door near the top, and just slides into place. It's real hard to describe how all these parts fit, but if the passenger's side window of your car is still functional, you should be able to remove the panel and see where everything fits. That's how I handled this problem.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bruce-

Look at the MotorSport catalog or your manual- If you don't have one, I would highly recommend it. It sounds like your window regulator might be shot. All of those pieces you descibe make up the regulator I believe.

If you purchase a new or used window regulator i can suggest a few key points to shoot some lith grease into to make window operation a breeze.

Z 4 Z

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the imfo, I'll try it this evening, Will I be able to just feel where the roller slides in? I would rather not dismantle the other side at theis time, I am saving that for a template to put the drivers side back together. Bruce

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The regulator seems OK, My one size fits all workshop manual is way short on detail as to exactly what is going on inside the door. Thanks Bruce

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The u-shapped rubber channel that you mentioned is the gasket that fits inside the stainless steel window frame all the way from the top front up and over the door down to the rear sash that goes inside the door below the door latch.

This "Fuzzy Strip" is what your window pane fits between to keep the rain and wind out of the car. In the lower rear sash, the strip is what guides the window pane up and down. If in real good condition and not gummy or otherwise causing problem to the window sliding through it's channel, go ahead and reuse. If you need replacements, they are available. I got mine from Datsun Dude on E-Bay. He has authentic Nissan Parts and good prices.
You can e-mail him at [email protected]

The "beer keg" roller is your pressure roller. It keeps pressure on the window pane when it is not in the full up position. This prevents the window from rattling, as well as helping to guide it up and into the upper channel.

The pressure roller mounts on the outside part of the door skin, just below the chrome trim wiper. If the top part of the bracket that holds it is rusted through, you'll have to get a new one, but they are available.

Check the nylon guide going through the lower front sash. If this is not greased properly or is binding, this will give you lots of grief.

The spring clip on the crank is easy. Insert the little clip such that the top part of it is on the side of the crank that the knob is on. You should be able to see two slits on the side of the crank, this is where the clip fits into. With the clip in place, place the crank handle on the shaft locate the crank in the position desired (usually matched to the passenger) then with a swift smack, push into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.