ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just under my car getting the speedometer and reverse warning lights to work (both are finally working! WOOHOO!) and noticed this other switch a little further back. It looks just like the reversing switch, but with flat connectors instead of bullet connectors.

The wires had been yanked out of it long ago so it's completely non-functional. The wires leading to it are green, if that helps. What is that thing, and how important is it?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> Hello, is the trans your working on a auto or a 4-speed.If it is a 4-speed it is most likely a neutral positoin switch.And if it is a auto then it is a downshift solenoid.
Cya and good luck
Rob P
([email protected])

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Hello, is the trans your working on a auto or a
>4-speed.If it is a 4-speed it is most likely a
>neutral positoin switch.And if it is a auto then
>it is a downshift solenoid.
>Cya and good luck
>Rob P
>([email protected])

Sorry, it is a 4-speed manual transmission. Is the switch just something to keep me from starting unless I'm in neutral? I don't REALLY need to fix it, do I?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having just rewired my 72, and tracing and mapping every wire in the car, I can say with confidence that it is the neutral position switch. According to the Haynes manual it is only on the F4W71B transmission which is actually a 260 trans according to them. I got two wiring harnesses from the junkyard, one from a 72 and one from a 73. The 73 didn't have it but the 72 did, other than that there were no differences.

As to its importance, It appears that its function is for the seatbelt light and buzzer that goes off if seatbelt not fastened and car is in gear.
Mike, 72

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.