ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 78 2+2, i was stripping out the carpet and interior and noticed a solenoid of some sort, it is not connected to anything, the connector is there, just not hooked up. what does it do and why would it not be hooked up?

also, i have a rust problem with the passenger side floorpan...the front seat frame up to the firewall almost is partially rusted out...like stick you hand through it. i think the frame rail is also rusted, not badly, but it is through...suggestions?? HELP!!!!

jazper

·
Registered
155 Posts
It is part of the seatbelt interlock. If you are sitting, then the connection is closed, so the car "knows" that person should have their seat belt on. If it's open, then the car believes there is no one sitting there, even if it's the driver's seat. It was disconnected on my car ('74.5 260z) too. I don't know exactly what it does (buzzer, light, etc.) but that's what the FSM said it was.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Oh, Man.. I had a '74 Dodge Dart (318 - fast and fun granny car..) anyway, it had one of those POS under the passenger seat.. Took 4-EVER to figure out why the **** thing would start fine when it was just me in the car, but as soon as any of my buddies/dates would get in it wouldn't turn over..

If that's what it is, leave the thing disconnected.. It was a bad safety idea in the same class as the later released power seatbelts.. Uhhghh..

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Does it have a 4 pin connector?

If it does, it is the brake warning lamp check relay. The 4 pin connector will have blue, black green and green w/yellow stripe wires going to it. The relay senses when your brake fluid level is low. Oh, btw... the seat belt warning timer unit is located in the relay block under the dash on the passenger side wall.

Now, for your rust problem...
Check the links section and in the parts and accessories. You will find dealers with replacement floor pans.bbbbb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.