Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Z enthusiasts
I am in the process of buying a 280 ZX and I just want to know two things. One what is the difference between a 280ZX and a 280Z
What is your genneral feeling about a 280ZX 1975?

Thank you verymuch everyone.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Re: What is the difference between a 280Z and a 28

They look different. lol That's about it IMO. There are more bottom and gadgets on 280zx

I don't know about 75 280zx because it doesn't exsist. 75-78 is 280z in US.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

First off, the ZX's started in '79. So the 1975 is a Z not a ZX. The '70 - '78 Z's are what I have heard reffered to as "first generation" Z's. The bodys on these cars are extremely similar, with minor changes. In '79 the car was totally redesigned, and called the 280 ZX. X for luxury, I am told. Lots of bells and whistles. Also a bit heavier, and turbo'd version available in later years. The first gen Z's started with the 240, from '70-'73, 260 in 74, and 280Z from 75 to '78. from '70-'83 they all came with an in-line 6 cyl. engine. 2400cc to 2800cc -----Bob.

·
Registered
35 Posts

the easiest way i noticed to tell the diff is look at the windows behind the drivers seat zx are smaller I believe and the rear is a little longer other than that they are the same body style but not exact

·
Registered
347 Posts

The earlier Z's (240's and 260's) were built from '70 to '75, had dual carbs, few frills, manual rack and pinion steering, and a really good suspension made up of McPherson struts front and back. In '75 the 280 Z (not ZX) came out as a more refined (but still not luxurious), heavier, fuel-injected version of the Z.

In '79, the 280 ZX came out as a completely redesigned Z, with different body, suspension, and interior. It was heavier than the Z's, and got mixed reviews at the time. Also, in my opinion the ZX was the first 4-seater that looked anywhere close to right. My personal preference is for an '82 or '83 ZX, with analog dash and no climate control, but that's just me. I still want an enhanced 240 or 260 eventually for occasional road fun. The ZX's are heavier than the Z's, but for a daily driver they're my choice. Best suggestion is to go drive some of each, and decide which one you like.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts

The 280Z and and the 280ZX are way different. the ony thing they share is the drivetrain, and some styling, other than that they are total different.

The 280Z is smaller and is more of a sports car, it doesnt have many luxary items, the only thing power on them are brakes and the antena. 280Zs were built 75-78...

The 79-83 280ZX is larger inside and out, and it has alot more luxary items available like power windows, T-tops, power steering, leather seats, power and heated mirrors, and even headlight washers! Also you could get a turbocharger in the 81-83 models. BUT they are slightly heavier than the older Zs...

If you want to see the differences go to Zdriver.com, they lots examples of 280Zs and 280ZXs

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys

Thanks guys I really appreciate your input.
I am impressed of all of your knoledge and I hope to learn as much as you guys know about Z cars
Thanks again

·
Registered
271 Posts
Other diff too!

The engine block changed in late 81 from the 280Z block used since 75 and went to the F54. The Turbo had that since early 81, but after 81 all ZX had the F54 "Turbo" block.

The 5spd used from 77 (optional) gave way to a better 5 in 80? I think.
But the 280ZX had a five as standard from 79.

Later 280ZX had CV shaft and not half-shafts like the early 280ZX and 280Z.

The gears changed in the diff depending on year and model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.