ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a device that should let me run @9psi .I am running stock (7psi) right now.What else is needed to safely run 9psi in my 82zxt.From 7 to 9psi how many horses will I gain.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I understand you can run 9 PSI with the stock motor. You can't run more than that because the pop-off valve want let you or unless you modify it. To run more than 9 psi you need an intercooler and then you can go up to 15 psi with stock turbo unit and adjustable pop-off valve. Sam 75 280z

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sam I think he want to know how to run 9 psi. Not why u should not be over 9. I m been wondering that to. and how much more horse power would u get with 9 psi. when stock 1983 turbo is 200 hp engine. (I think) 220 to 230 I m guessing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
> Sam I think he want to know how to run 9
> psi. Not why u should not be over 9. I m
> been wondering that to. and how much more
> horse power would u get with 9 psi. when
> stock 1983 turbo is 200 hp engine. (I think)
> 220 to 230 I m guessing?
A stock motor has 4-5 lbs of boost and makes 180hp at the wheels.The stock fuel system will allow 9-10lbs you just need to close the blow off valve(plug it ,weld it) This will produce max 20hp but it will feel noticably quicker.A fuel pressure riser (2lbs of gas - 1lb of boost) and some timing adjustments will then let you run up to 12-13lbs of boost which should be good foranother 15hp.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> A stock motor has 4-5 lbs of boost and makes
> 180hp at the wheels.The stock fuel system
> will allow 9-10lbs you just need to close
> the blow off valve(plug it ,weld it) This
> will produce max 20hp but it will feel
> noticably quicker.A fuel pressure riser
> (2lbs of gas - 1lb of boost) and some timing
> adjustments will then let you run up to
> 12-13lbs of boost which should be good
> foranother 15hp.
What is a Fuel Pressure Riser?Is it anything like a adjustable fuel pressure regulater.How much is one and where do I get one.On the timing do I advance it or retard it.

Thanks For the help Guys.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> A stock motor has 4-5 lbs of boost and makes
> 180hp at the wheels.The stock fuel system
> will allow 9-10lbs you just need to close
> the blow off valve(plug it ,weld it) This

Don't you mean pop-off valve? Closing the blow-off will only hurt the engine(when you take your foot off the accelerator), and make the engine less effective because the turbo slows down a lot when you change gears. And isn't the pop-off valve there so you don't blow up your engine?

Project#2501

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.