1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching this forum
for a few months now and it
seems like all everybody wants
to do is modify their 240/260/280Z to the max...
Whatever happened to having a
pure clean stock sportscar??
Maybe it's just me, but I am much more impressed with a car
that is totally origional as oppossed to one that has been so modified that it is almost unrecognizable....
Maybe they should add a new Forum area to this website..
Call it "Origional 70-83"...
Anybody else feel the way I do??

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: No.

I guess I'm willing to tolerate other opinions and filter through enough stuff to pick up the info I need. I personally feel some mods are not my choice (V8 conversions) but the love of the Z-ZX car is more important. It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I suspect Derek has set aside all the time he has to give us this FREE space. Thanks Derek.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>Stock is Nice, but these are Sports Cars</b>

Hi Don,

These are sports cars... I thought it was the American thing to do, when ya made it better.... I get excited when I hear about cars that have been fixed up by better suspensions, more horse power.... and smooth paint jobs... and comfy seats and a stereo that can let ya feel the music...

Dennis

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just what goes on everywhere

i like to think that i'm keeping to tradion....but i'm not....
well if i could afford it i wouldn't be keeping to tradion..
although i liek to modify my car, i keep it limited, for instance i think a good mod would be to swap a 260 or a 240 front bumper to improve weight distribution(sure it may not be much bit it is some) and make the car lighter while keeping a pretty much stock look
i don't think much about teh outside when it comes to mods(except lowering for the better COG) but under the hood and behind the wheels(suspension, brakes, wheels themselves)
over alli think swaping the parts around from the different Z's while keeping the look clean and near stock (all that's differnt on my car is:
a. no muffler
b. K&N filter
c. air dam
and the rest is how it came form the factory

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: just what goes on everywhere

Thank you for the comments...i just didn't want us to lose the what a great car the Z-series was made to be...

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Stock is Nice, but these are Sports Cars

no that's the CANADIAN way to do things....
hehe...
just kidding.
but i agree with both sides.
i think having a stock car is great, perfect original parts and paint is fantastic, if that;'s what you want.
most of us want more MORE MORE
so that's what this forum is FOR.

matty

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unless orig240, why would ANYONE want just stock?

Stock is for gentlemen collectors and wussies. Matty is right, these are SPORTS cars, go fasts, loves the twisties, tearin' up asphalt, runners, giddie carts, you get the picture!!! Plus, if you have just stock original stuff, what is the use of the forum? You can't compare notes, it's either stock or it isn't, what's to talk about?

No offense, just my humble opinion

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Peeling back the layers...

is what I like to call it. When you buy a Z (especially a ZX) they wrap it all up in these nice soft cushy pretty layers that will appeal to the larger markets. It is up to us hardcores to peel back these soft outer layers to reveal the true "race horse" that is underneath, 'cause it's there! Look at it this way, we all hear about this prototype and that one, they are all fast. But by the time they get to us they are watered down. We just thicken up the gravy again so to speak. If you want to run with the new stuff, you have to modify. Face it when my '82 was built, NOTHING was fast, they were all slow in '82. So I have to catch up a bit to equal the new stuff.

Just my opinion

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RE: Peeling back the layers...

Thats a good analogy. I also like to think of the fact that my car is 17 years young, and seeing technology has progressed in that time, I might as well replace broken or worn parts with better then stick stuff right? Its like keeping the stock tape deck, when all you own are cd's.

My 2 cents
Joe

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: I suggested this a while back...

...But space is limited I'm sure. I think there should be a Z performance category, because I know the purists have heart failure every time I talk about V8 conversions. Now I have owned many Z cars, and for their day they were a true sports car bargain, but lets face it. By todays standards a bone stock factory Z brakes handles and accelerates poorly. If owning a conqoures level show Zcar, or just a clean everyday driver is your bag, then start a thread.... You have the right to do so, but don't hammer us for wanting to improve on a great looking car with tones of room for more developement.....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Modifying or restoring? Turbo or V8?

It's always cool to have a nice clean stock machine, no matter what kind it is. It's a piece of living history. A walk into memory lane so to speak.
But to chastise those that want to take a basic design (and a good one at that)and improve it is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
It cracks me up to hear the turbo crowd and V8 crowd go off on each other. 240-280Z's never came with turbos. Adding them makes a change to the basic design. Putting in a V8 just takes it one step further. The weight and cost thing cracks me up too. The final cost and weight of a turbo or V8 conversion usually depends on your resources and knowledge. It can go either way so the point is moot.
Changing the brakes and suspension pushes the envelope a little more. 240-280Z brakes just plain suck by todays standards. ****, trucks even have 4 wheel discs now. My Z should too, I drive it harder than any of these pansy SUVer's ever will.
I for one have never been content with what is handed me, especially when it comes to cars. I think that is true of most of the people on this forum. We don't like to just keep up with the Jones's.
There are lots of pristine 240's out there, I don't think they will disappear from the face of the earth or be forgotten if we modify a few. Besides, alot of them have seen better days, and aren't worth the time or money it would take to restore them.
Total restoration is just plain expensive. For the same price as restoration, you can usually get a nice somewhat custom car that just blows away everything else around, as well as making a statement about you. And that's hard to pass up.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
RE: **** Fishbone.....

You need to stop that....You are making waaaayyyy to much sense....
and your note pointed out a few good things....it all depends on how deep your pockets are....Doing the turbo or V8 thing can be the right thing or the wrong thing if not engineered properly and if the right parts ($$$$$$) aren't used....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.