ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few posts about this, and was wondering what this is. It seems that people like it, and it does a good job, but what is it and how does it work?? You'l have to excuse my ignorance with this one.
Thanx,
Dylan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's a sparkplug with a glass window in it so you can see the color of the flame in the cylinder, and adjust your mixture accordingly. Works great on carbureted vehicles, esp. with multiple carb set-ups. About $50 from VB.

·
Registered
320 Posts
hello ive got a color tune and love it...i feel much better knowing wether or not im running too lean at different rates of engine speeds...found out i was lean in the front three cyl.at 2500-3500 rpms, most likely why i burnt out a valve last year....if your interested i bought mine here in florida for $39.00 ill give you the web site you can check it out...or if you live in florida close enough to me ( im at the sarrasota area) near venice and in northport..you are welcome to use mine to tune your carbs...michele email me if you want more info,,,[email protected]

·
Registered
651 Posts
How dark would you say it has to be to use it effectively. I just got one and it was mid-day but overcast (white car too which didn't help) and it was pretty hard to see the color. I did see some white flashes which confirmed what I saw when I pulled the plugs. I set my SU's about 3/4 turn richer and I could see blue but I couldn't really see what shade it was. But much less white flashes. Also it was hard to tell the difference between white flash in the cylinder and just seeing the spark.

I think in a garage with the lights down or after sunset it would work really well...
SoM

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same problem

The color of the flame isn't consistent enough for me to be confident that the mixture is right. Plus it is hard to see in the sunlight. I think I'm just going to put in an oxygen sensor w/ an air-fuel gauge. You can get the gauge from summit for $30. I think it will fit in place of my clock that doesn't work. The price isn't that much more, and it's probably more accurate. But I'm just guessing. Anyway, I don't really like the colourtune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.