ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the purpose of the metal plate (heavy as heck) that bolts to the front cross member to which the front differential mount is attached? I just swapped rear ends and installed urethane mustache bar bushings, and was wondering what this heavy weight does, and whether I would be better off without it?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: What is balancer(weight) on front diff. mount

I've heard that it was installed in late Zs to reduce vibration in the rear end of the car. Mine has one also and I just left it there after installing the bushings. It doesn't do
any harm so I'd suggest just leaving it there.

Chris
78 280Z in WY

·
Registered
403 Posts

Nah ditch it. I took it off when I installed an r-200 in my 240 and haven't seen any adverse effects from it not being there. I guess it makes a handy skid plate or something but other than that it's just dead weight.

·
Registered
361 Posts
RE: It was installed to help cure vibration probs.

It was a dealer installed fix for owners who complained of excessive vibration from the rear end. it was mostly put on automatics, but i have seen them on manuals. it just adds mass to keep vibrations from getting excessive,(requires more force to move the assy, so less vibrations are felt). It weighs so little, I honestly don't think it matters.
-Bob Hanvey

·
Premium Member
40,975 Posts

I agree with Zebra. It's there on later cars because it adds inertial mass that makes the small vibrations less noticable. It's on the car my wife drives, but not on any of mine. Look at the factory fix from Ford for vibration problems on late 70's Fairmonts and LTD: They took two lead balls (about 10# each!) connected by aircraft cable and just draped them over the snout of the differential, but only for the cars that customers COMPLAINED about. Datsun put it on all of the later cars to FOREGO customer complaints, as they had complaints from 240 owners. 240's may or may not have had them, but every 260 and 280 I've seen has had them. Incidentally, the Fairlady Z's in Japan had much less weight added, as the vibrations' felt intensity varies with the torque transmitted by the driveline.
It's dead weight on my car... :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.