ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I broke down and went further into debt and bought a nismo lsd from zcarparts.com since I could not find one anywhere worth a chit. Here is the question I have 3:70s right now and finish the 1/4 mile in 4th gear and cross @ 110mph at about 5500rpms. I was wanting to go with some 3:90's but am afraid ill have to shift to fifth gear! anybody out there running 3:90s with a turbo? as long as I could do 115 in 4th gear with 3:90s I would be fine.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
When figuring gears with a turbo a lot depends on what kind of turbo you have as well as what drivetrain set up you have. Do you have a turbo that has lag and to compensate you have a drivetrain set up to rev fast? Or do you have a turbo with almost no lag and a drivetrain set up to rev slow? With out knowing your set up I would say to stick with your 3.7's. Most people tend to stick with 3.54's or 3.7's for a turbo set up so as not to go through the gears too fast not letting the turbo to spool up all the way. I know thats a big problem with the 70's Z's. People try going to 3.9's but then find that they are shiftting gears before boost even hits max. Honestly you won't really see any better 1/4 mile times going to a 3.9 from your 3.7 and definetly will notice a decrease in gas mileage. There just isn't enough of a difference in gearing between the 3.7 and 3.9 to really give any better results. I'm talking less than .1 sec decrease in track times. Gas mileage will probably go down 2 mpg. Just stick with the 3.7's and you'll see that the LSD will more than help you, not only in drag racing but in the way the car handles.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright cool thanks guys think ill stick with my 3:70's. Yeh my turbo really doesnt have much lag it is a jwt sport 500 ball bearing I really expected more from this turbo but it is pretty good, it has a 3"inch inlet it is a T3\T4 and the exhaust blade measures 2"inchs. My best time to date taking off from an idle was a 13.60 @110.4mph with a 2.5 60ft. so hopefully after the lsd ill run some 12.60's-70's I also still have all stock heads and all my manifolds are untouched intake and exhaust. The best and cheapest thing you can do during a rebuild is probably go to a twin turbo connnecting rods I only paid $40 bucks for them off ebay and than can handle 600+hp. I will probably never make close to that im shooting for 400rwhp after I get and upper intake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.