ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently paid too much money to have a DynoMax Super Flow muffler installed on my car, and man does it sound terrible. When it's idling, it sounds ridiculous. It sounds like someone is rattling coins around in there. And when i really get into it, at high revs and boost, it whistles, LOUD. Everytime i tell someone this, they say something like "are you sure that's not just the turbo?". I am sure, trust me. It sounds like a huge train is chasing me down the road. What I'm not sure if this whistling is caused by the muffler, or the dual tip i had welded on. (THe muffler is a single in and out 2 1/2 inch wide, and i welded the tip onto the outlet, same pipe width)

SO...

What muffler are you running on your early 300zx Turbo? Has anyone straight piped it without a muffler or maybe just a resonated tip. How does that sound. I will hack this thing off tomorrow if you can tell me what will work and sounds great, even when i'm getting into the turbo. I'm looking for something more on the agressive side. I want to hear this engine, and make it sound a little more hoss. (I'm also planning on getting the filter charger kit from K&N, so this will probably make some changes in the sound).

THANKS!!!!!
David

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Not true. CM may be the best way to go, but that doesnt mean everything else is crap. Im very happy with my HKS (but they dont make it anymore). Once that goes out I will buy CM though.
Alan is happy with his Magnaflow too.

Post Edited (Sep 16, 8:55am)

·
Registered
50 Posts
go with the certified muffler 3in exhaust...you'll be happy you made that decision

·
Registered
632 Posts
straight pipe sounds really good. before 88hybrid screwed up his car(which turned out to be a plus) i had the opp. to listen to his. it sounded very bad ass. at idle very deep rumble then when you'd accelerate it sounded like the car wanted to kick your ass.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
If you're just getting a muffler get a Dynomax Ultraflo straight-through. Cheap, rugged, and sounds great but a little loud and nothing is going to flow better. Stay away from chambered mufflers. BTW, you don't need the FIPK...unless maybe you're in Cali.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the dynomax cat back system you used to be able to buy from Summitracing.com. I like it personally, but if your looking for a throaty sound this isnt the route you want to go.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
anybody use wanna these?

<http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/dynomx1.htm>

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the information. Does anyone know why I might be getting that whistling sound? Has anyone experienced this with a exhaust mod? I'm curious if i just need to hack off the top for now. ANd i DEFINETLY like the way that CM system sounds! THey seem to have alot of choices on their site in the 3" category, which one is best for the small budget?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Oh, and if you need me to record that sounds i'm getting, i can probably get it on my camcorder. It's freaking loud and sounds like $hit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hey, Isn't not having a muffler illegal? I know the turbo quiets the sound out the back and I'd really like to do that but I'm pretty sure thats illegal. I live in VA. Anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depends where you live. I Orlando FL, we dont have inspections, so it doesnt really matter. If you county has inspections for smog and emissions and all that crap, then you probably wont get away with it. I'm sure the sound has something to do with it as well, but that's only if a cop REALLY wants to do paperwork for something so trivial.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I understand the need to open up the exhaust for better breathing. But I was always under the impression that you needed some back pressure in the exhaust unless you had a highly modified engine. Now don't laugh so hard you piss yourselves, but my 1984 work in progress had an ANSA exhaust and muffler on it when I got. Call me an old fart, but I kinda like the sound.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I dunno. I'm pretty sure I've read that if you go to open and no back pressure then you lose low-end torque. I'll check for that real fast.

nope couldnt find anything, but I swear I read that like 6 months ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.