ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am wondering what the Z stands for. is it an industry standard, or just Nissan/Datsun?

i have seen it on Fords, Chevy's and even BMW's
help me out would ya?

-chad

· Registered
932 Posts
uh, don't think so

Sorry h4, but I've seen the same sort of post here before and corrected it that time as well. Z does not mean ultimate, or anything like it, in Japanese or any other language, unless you want it to. Z means Z in the same way M means M and all of the other letters in the alphabet mean nothing by themselves. The Japanese use kanji characters, which do have individual meanings, but seeing a "Z" in any of the characters that can be translated as "ultimate" is as relevant as seeing a face on the surface of the moon. You might see it, but it isn't really there.

The simple fact is that some letters in the alphabet are more easily accepted as implying cool, fast, or other attributes that are ultimately marketing gimmicks. Z certainly sounds better than O, and may even be on par with GSX-R, but that's just a personal preference I think.

Just to give myself some credibility on this Japanese language issue, I'll tell you that we speak Japanese at home, my son is learning English as his second language, and I'm writing this post on a computer that uses the Win98 Japanese version operating system.
CheerZ.
Q

· Registered
2,879 Posts
I'm no expert...

I am just regurgitating what was told to me by more than one japanese automotive source. If it cannot be interpreted literally, then it is implied, since Nissan,Toyota, and Isuzu folks have all stated this.
I'm sure your interpretations of Kanji are letter perfect, but I'm going by the interpretations told me by the man on the street, including a fellow that runs a shop in Kinugawa called of all things: Ultimate!
I remember a similar discussion with another scholarly type about some spanish terms. He was quite correct in his castillian interpretations, but did not understand the common man spanish of Mexico.
Take care.

· Registered
932 Posts
There's nothing like the factual truth

of urban myths.

We all know about the Porsche Turbos that angry wives sell for a penny when they find out that their husbands are cheating on them. Of course, there is the fact that cow magnets taped to the sides of your fuel line just before the carb will give significantly better fuel economy by aligning the gas molecules. Environmentalist true believers actually think that they can eradicate invasive exotic species like English ivy by pulling them out by their roots, contrary to what is actually the case. It only makes sense that Z enthusiasts the world over might want to suggest that Z is the ultimate; when you want to see the man in the moon, you do.
As to dialectic variations in Spanish, I can't comment. My experience in Japan wasn't just as a scholarly type though. I was the man on the street there for quite a while. I imported and sold cars, mostly Datsuns, Porsches, and one 1960 Caddy. It could be that the men I dealt with in Kyushu simply weren't aware of what the guys in Kinugawa felt the letter Z meant.
My knowledge of the language isn't perfect, and I can always use more schooling on the subject. I'd be interested in knowing exactly what word in Japanese the old guy at the "Ultimate" shop used, since there are several possibilities and not one of them uses kanji that looks like a Z. In fact, the one character in all of Japanese that really resembles a Z (but is pronounced otsu) actually means second, second rank, or maybe prudish or clever, but only in a compound expression.
So let me know what the word was and maybe we can put this debate to bed.
Asta linguini.

· Registered
3,207 Posts
ENOUGH !!!!

Hi.
You two are confussing the **** out of little ole mountain boy me........ !!!!

· Registered
103 Posts
Not enough....need more!

Gentlemen, please provide information about the source of the following: Z28, XKE, XJS, XK-8, XJR, SHO, SE, GLX, GLS, SE-R, GTX, GTA, Z-8, Z-3, SL, E-55, SLK, CLK, LT-1, RX-7, NSX, GT-S, DL, DX, STS, Q45, CR-5, and Z-06.

· Read Only
3,883 Posts
From what the commercial says....

Z! the last letter in performance if i remember it right

· Registered
7,392 Posts
The Z in the nissan Z cars means the last word in sports cars, in other words it means its the best.

· Registered
651 Posts
Mr. K was asked several years ago and the same story is told in the book "essential datsun Z 240Z to 280ZX". Z was picked as the last or ultimate letter that couldn't be passed or overcome. I state no claim on this info...

· Registered
932 Posts
Precisely my point...

These letters usually mean nothing at all. Not in our language, Spanish, Nepalese, and let's not forget Japanese. Of course, acronyms do exist along the lines of GT, which is supposed to mean the racing class "Grand Touring." But when GT is applied to a production automobile it is most likely a marketing ploy more than anything else. Check out how many Mustang GTs have automatic trannies and power windows for evidence of this idea.

Bottom line is that "Z" means nothing unless you (or Madison Avenue types) want it to.

· Registered
932 Posts
uh, Madeline, there are no letters in the Japanese alphabet because they don't use the alphabet. No Zs. No As, Bs, or Cs. No nothing. Z was just a marketing ploy with no intrinsic meaning.

· Registered
932 Posts
That's a hoot!

I love it! Z was chosen because it can't be passed or overcome. Hmmm, so if a 1969 240Z is running dead last in a race with a pack of riced out Hondas that's a good thing because you sure can't be passed when you're last!
I'm not buyin' any of this. It's a marketing ploy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.