ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 1987 300zx 2+2 auto which may become available to me pretty cheap. But there are a few issues with the car. the most important is the autotranny. Here's is what the PO says is the problem:

She lost third gear and reverse.

I'm not sure if the PO has had the car checked out or not to make sure it's not a problem which stems from another part or if the tranny is really thrashed. I am assuming the PO determined this by the seat of her pants and not by pulling the tranny and inspecting.

1. Anyone have any ideas what the tranny problems could be? (other than wrecked guts)
2. Should I still consider the car.(BTW the car is 40miles from my home. I think I would have to tow it cause of the tranny issues)
3. Does anyone know of a 5 speed auto which will drop in?
4. Any ideas on the price of repairing the tranny?

Zel

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Loss of third and R means you'll need to rebuild the tranny. Your best bet for a cheap fix is to do a 5-speed swap. Your second option would be to get a used auto tranny from a junker. Third have this one rebuilt. The second and third option aren't really good options. While a junker auto tranny can be had for pretty cheap chances are it won't last long. As for rebuilding the tranny most of the time those don't last too long either unless you happen to find a really good tranny shop. Most people I see that have their autos rebuilt last less than 40k. If you do the 5-speed swap the tranny will be very strong and you can get the 5-speed for pretty cheap. There is no 5-speed autotranny that drops in only a 5-speed manual. You could always get it and try doing a tranny service to see if that fixes it but be prepared to find out the tranny is shot. Also keep in mind that 2+2 automatics aren't really liked very much so if you are looking for something to fix and sell you may not get much of a profit.

·
Registered
657 Posts
if you can do the work yourself, you could rebuild that tranny for around $200. But im going to have to agree with 280z/300zx on this one..... do the 5-speed swap.......... im sure there is a write-up on z31.com that will let you know exactly what needs to be done.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I dunno why anyone would want a 2+2 w/ auto tranny (j/k) but both the replies gave sound advice IMO.

Is our children learning? I don't know but I bet they're going to be really pissed off when they grow up and realize they have to pay the bills for this mess...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Assuming your ATF is clean and up to level.

Most likely you have a low hydraulic pressure in the valve body or 2nd-3rd shift soleniod at rt/rear of the case. Can't get to it without first dropping the trans pan and screen/filter. Probably ought to do that anyway to check for metal particles in the pan and a pligged up screen. Looks like you're heading toward a valve body clean-out and seal upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.