ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask some advice. I'm restoring a '72 240z and am thinking of an engine upgrade. A friend of mine just totalled his Dodge Viper GTS in a track accident and has offered me the engine. The mechanic said it would cost around $600 to fix the engine, and my friend offered me the engine if I pay to fix it. So my question is, can I wiggle that engine into the 240 and make it work? If so, what would be the process?

Hoss

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'm not sure if the motor will fit but you will have to costum make abunch of stuff to get it to go in. I've never heard of anybody using Dodge stuff in Z cars so you will have to make all your own guage and speedo adapters. I'm also not sure if the car can take the power of that motor you will have to do a bunch of frame reinforcements. Sam 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Imagine the details you have to deal with. If you have the resources the motor's worth a whole lot more than the $600 even if you failed, and you'd be the only one on your block, I'd bet you get centerfold

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Might be a fun project if you're ready to go way beyond the $600 to fix the engine. Reminds me of the kind of projects we used to attempt when I was in high school (graduated in '54) wherein we didn't realize how many adaptations were required to the rest of the drive train, frame, springs, shocks, etc. when we put in a more powerful - and heavier motor - than the car was designed for. Simply adapting motor mounts may not be enough. What's the weight of the Viper engine going to do to the balance of the car? To the handling? Even the V6 in a Honda Accord changes the balance and handling negatively versus a 4 cylinder. These are only some of the things to be considered. Might be like putting a Ferrari V12 onto a Cushman scooter and then wondering why it's hard to handle. Pioneering is usually costly. Good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
How Much Money Ya Got, Kid?

If you do all your own pattern making, engine mount design and fabrication, machining, instrument conversions, chassis and steering alterations, precision welding, firewall relocation and cooling system replacement, you can probably drop that Viper V-10 in your 240 for about $15,000 - $18,000 - not considering the value of your own labor. If you have to pay others to do at least some of the work, the cost will be signifcantly higher. There's also another question to consider: Is it gonna bother you, you think, driving your 240 from the back end of the cargo area?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: How Much Money Ya Got, Kid?</b>

Slim's nailed it on this one. It would be astronomically expensive to do this swap right. And although the end product might be an awesome piece of machinery to ponder, it probably won't handle very well with all that poundage so far forward. IMHO, unless you have the major bucks and really want a spread in HOT ROD or some other car rag, take your buddy's engine, spend the $600 to fix it and then sell the thing for about 2 grand and pour that $$$ into doing something that makes more sense to your Z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: How Much Money Ya Got, Kid?

2 grand?
man i'd try to get at least 10 for it, althgouh i DO live in Canada, where there aren't a whole lot of Viper GTS's running around.
Or Zs for that matter.
I agree with John, take the money and put it into your Z..

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm the pioneer type.

They are right in saying it might get expensive, but it can't be THAT much. I love to pioneer things, take my dirt bike for instance. I am of course an Mech. Engineering student though. I do not know what the length or weight is on the engine and trans, but if it seems possibile, I would try it. Once in a life time chance. Personnally, if I had my chance, it would be a twin turbo Lexus engine, 4 valves. Just my opinion. And by the way there are a couple Hemi Z's out there.
Joshua L.

matty wrote:
-------------------------------
2 grand?
man i'd try to get at least 10 for it, althgouh i DO live in Canada, where there aren't a whole lot of Viper GTS's running around.
Or Zs for that matter.
I agree with John, take the money and put it into your Z..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
RE: I'm the pioneer type.

The one thing about the Viper V-12 is that the entire engine is aluminum. I don't thnink weight would be a hugh factor. $15,000 to make all your own custom brackets, adapters, and bracing? Where do you buy your parts and supplies? I know living 30 min from Summit racing is an advantage, but if you spend that much you're not doing something right. You would definitely have to get the tranny too though to make it worthwhile. maybe adapt the brakes, alter the Viper alum lower susp arms...hmmm

·
Registered
743 Posts
RE: I'm the pioneer type.

I agree...the only reason you would be attempting this at all is if you felt confident in your abilities. Get yourself some engine specs, a good mig welder, oxy acy cutting torch, and the engine/transmission, and you'll be all set. It would probably drop you $4-5000. Of course the interior is going to suffer. You'll have to modify the firewall and put in a whole new dash arangement. One problem might be the final location of the shifter for the T-56. You will have to get creative with the cooling system and your low speed steering will suffer a little, but the engine is aluminum, not iron...and it is a V10...not a V12 as previously mentioned. Is the GTS an off the floor 450hp or the beefed 600hp? Frame mods are going to be necessary. I wish I had your luck in finding that engine....could be a good project..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Know What an "Oyeah" Is?

It's a large and wholly unanticipated problem encountered by someone who takes on a project like shoe horning a V10 engine into a 240Z after he's already blown a whole lot of his money.

For instance, he's gonna hear "Oyeah, you're gonna have to move the firewall back several inches somehow," and "Oyeah, you're gonna need an expensive new electronic ignition plus some other rewiring," and "Oyeah, you're not gonna be able to use your old steering and suspension systems anymore." Oyeahs are what's gonna add up to $15,000 + by the time an engine conversion is finished...if the guy has the money and patience to finish it. Lots of ill-conceived projects tend to travel from one "pioneer" to another over many years.

I've done a few V8 engine conversions on British cars, which are far simpler to work with than Datsuns, but plenty tough and expensive anyhow. Whenever I see someone speculating about a radical engine transplant on this site, I always figure it's a 12 year old kid with the Viper engine from a Revell model kit in one hand and a Revell 240Z in the other, saying "Gee whiz, the motor slips right in there. It can't be that hard in a real car."

·
Registered
358 Posts
too much weight for such a small car. handling will be zero,also you will twist the frame all to **** and back unless you (make a deal with the devil) to make it stronger.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Yeah, Vipers have always had V-10's, never 12's (momentary brain spasm). If you're thinking of putting the engine in something as expensive as a Jag, then why not just build it into a Cobra kit, or build your own tube frame and slap on a WSC (Can-Am) style body. Make it into a streetable road racer. But all this assumes that you've got the money and facilities. We mere mortals can but dream.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.