ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

what do u top out at

1K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  es3 
#1 ·
i was wondering what most zs top out at since i have an 87 na standard that tops out at 118 i think, it may have still be slowly moving up. so post your top speeds and what kind of z u have and if its a turbo

also do u know if the 87 was governed or not if so how do u take it off?

#4 ·
Well when my car was non turbo I got it up too 126mph thats all hit had though I had it floored for like 3 minutes. I have never been brave enough to top my car out with my current setup I got up to 145mph and it started shaking pretty bad so I let off I could probably do 155mph tops cause I would run out of rpms, with a different gear ratio like 3.54's I bet I could hit 165mph.

#5 ·
Please be aware people if your analog speedo states something over 137 then it is wrong. They are very innaccurate especially at higher speeds. your car will NOT go over 137, even if the speedo says you have, unless you have changed something to disable the speed limiter.

I have topped out my 86 Turbo to 137 mph then the speed limiter kicked in. it was a pretty nervous experience and I dont plan on doing it again in my SS.

#6 ·
Both when my 84 n/a slick top was stock and now with the few mods I have I can get her up to 130mph. When it was stock it took a whole lot longer to get there but it would do it real smooth. Now it's not as hard to get up to those speeds but still takes a few minutes to get there.

#7 ·
sportGT:

thanks, i wasn't aware of that at all.

so my digital speedo is more likely to measure actual vehicle speed above 100mph or so?

#8 ·
from what I have read a digital speedo is very accurate.

#11 ·
The sad thing is that we have all actually taken it that high! Are we all crazy motherf!@#er's or what?!

I made the run on old tires rated at 90mph with 3 people in the car.....and no it's not a 2+2....

I was young and extremely dumb, haven't broken 115 since and that was only alone on brand new tires!

#12 ·
I've gone 125mph on New Years Eve...that was pretty stupid.

And yes, only the Turbo's are governed to 137, but it's very easy to get rid of that, a simple snip of a certain purple wire on the ecu.

Either Car and driver or Road and Track tested a 88ss with the limiter removed when it was new. I believe it made 155+mph.

#16 ·
Yeah really, I get my N/A up to 125+ on the highway almost every day

#20 ·
Stu85na, I like what you said about how we all must be crazy...here's crazy for you. I raced a kid back from SAT's a couple years ago in my mom's car. He was driving one of those fairly new Volvo station wagons which are pretty fast cars and I was in my mom's 1995 Toyota Tercel dx. I hit 100 on tires that are hardly wider than bike tires. It was one of the scariest things I had ever done even though I would consistently drive her car at 90-95 for an interstate trip. In my '88 2+2 though I hit 105 but it started shaking pretty bad and I was passing an 18 wheeler so I didn't want to risk side swiping into it. I'd like to give another shot at topping out. Here's another question for people though it's not Z related. How fast have you ever gone in any car? My friend hit 145 in his Volvo V50 (or whatever...different friend by the way than the one I mentioned above) one time around 1 am.

#23 ·
I got my 84 N/A up to 135 but like everyone else said it took a long time to get there . RPM's were at 5500 and I was afraid to take it faster because at that speed the front started feeling like it wanted to drift.

#25 ·
Jerky: the difference between going 125 in a 280z and 125 in a 300zx is night and day. Sure the 280z is capable of going to about 130mph with some mods to help it along but it doesn't feel very stable after about 115-120mph. The 300zx just hugs the ground at high speeds. The few times I've been 100+ in my 300zx it feels so nice while in my 280z I feel like I'm on high alert. The main difference between the 280z and 300zx is the drag co. The 280z is .47 while the 300zx is .32.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.