ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I've been coming to this site for more than 3 years now..hmm has it really been that long? hehehe

ok ok back to my point..

I've heard for years, people swaping diffs and trannies to get certain characteristics from our z's. off the line/top speed/tight autox/ large racet tracks...all kinds of reasons why someone may want to change ratios..

Now this may seem obvious, but i don't recall anyone trying it....how about some of the ratios afforded in the 510 cars? their trannies bolt right up correct? Now I know they may be too weak for some of the high powered z's out there, but how about for mild z's? surely they can handle even a moderately modified z....

I wonder if they are lighter?...they must have very different gear ratios...For a lightened 240, that is still fairly mild in the engine bay, could benefit from a lighter tranny, and possibly much different ratios, and ratio spacing between gears...

I don't have any answers, it would not even benefit me directly anyways...it just hit me..."I wonder if a 510 tranny would work in a Z?"

It could be a cost effective way of placing the z's hp where YOU want or need it for YOUR driving style...

HMMM

Any thoughts?

ZR8ED

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
or the trucks

I don't know about 510s, but I've been assured trannies out of Datsun pickups will work. I used to be into Datsun pickups. I recalled a few weeks ago that I still had a 5-speed out of a '77 ('78?) 620. I looked in repair manuals for the truck, and in the manuals for Z cars, and whaddya know, the early 5-speed Zs and the 620s used the SAME tranny, only the trucks were geared slightly lower in all but 4th (1:00), which was the same. Since they both bolt to the back of an L-series engine (the truck engines were basically sixes with two cylinders chopped off), this trans will bolt right up. I asked here on the forum and was told it wasn't commonly done, but it would work.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Re: or the trucks

my 72 came with a 620 truck 5-spd, I swapped it for an 83 last year. There's was an article in either R&T or Motor trend, that talked about the BRE 510s. It said that the cars got more competitive when they replaced the 510 tranny with ones from Zs. FWIW...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.