Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT... damnit..

There's a ticking/knocking coming from the 1 or 3 cylinder, and smoke coming from the rear driver's side of the motor. Oil leak...?

That tick/knock better NOT be another rod knock, or Furqan... we will talk..

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The motor hasn't been run for a long time. You should probably expect a few noises initially. How long did you let it run for today?

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sigh.. still doesn't explain the ticking that sounds like a tractor.. WHY ME????

Oh.. and the oil leak...

Post Edited (Jan 6, 3:11pm)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Its a loud ticking? I know when its cold my motor ticks too. I heard that its the fuel injectors that do that until they warm up... Also mine was not firing on all 6, i was down to 4 at one point. Burned up 2 coil packs, well it happened twice so i actually burnt up 3. some wiring harness was rubbing on the powersteering belt and burned through the wire causing it to misfire. The coils got so hot they melted....

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I THINK it's running on all 6 now.. because #4 is firing now (God must love me?)

But the oil leak in the back is quite large. After it runs for about 1-2 minutes and heats up, smoke just pours out of the driver's side by the firewall. And the ticking kiiiiiinda sounds like lifter tick.

but hey, my carbing strut bar and HID's look good! Sigh... off to nissan it goes....

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is that the place in everett or Tacoma..? I would.. but campbell nissan is pretty close to where the car is. And if it's just a gasket change (hopefully) I'll just suck it up and pay.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
Always replace all the gaskets on a motor thats been sitting for a long time. When gaskets sit up for a long time they tend to well leak as soon as fresh oil hits them. Also on a motor thats been sitting lifter tapping is normal for a period of time. Though make sure the oil pump is good so that ticking/tapping noise you hear doesnt get worse.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
There is a great Z shop in Bellevue. Motorworks.

map:

<http://yellowpages.superpages.com/supermaps/mapinit.jsp?T=bellevue&N=Motorworks+&PG=L&STYPE=S&R=N&SRC=lycos&S=WA&AL=&MC=&map.x=212&map.y=125&level=8&lat=0476210&lng=-1221710&POI1lat=0476210&POI1lng=-1221710&POI1name=Motorworks+Limited&streetaddress=&city=Bellevue&state=WA&zip=98005&LID=0021062053&LS=&display=1&AD=&GV=0&GL=&FN=&PP=&CID=&CB=>

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know I liked Duane until he was extremely rude to me on the phone once for no reason. I had taken my car there once before and he diagnosed a fuel problem, never seen him any other time.. A while later I call to see if he can finish a clutch job that another mechanic started, since I trusted him more. His response was "do you have that red TT?" "yes" i say, he replies "you know to be honest, i dont want anything to do with your car, you always bring it in here but never have us do any work to it, and frankly im just not interested, youll have to find another shop"

i was like wtf...? Best guess is that he mistook me for someone else in the area, but still... that's poor business etiquette.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No swampman, this is the jdm motor I just put in, and this post is about the first time I started it (full of oil).

Anyways the ticking went away and for a while the car sounded great (just a high idle). But, in attempt to adjust the timing, it got too screwed up and won't start, ha... (the alignment pin inside is broken, so I have to blindly adjust the timing by guessing).

So, it seems like it's just leaking oil and needs the timing adjusted. I'll let nissan fix that on monday/tuesday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.