ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found out I… are you ready for this…broke my timing belt….I all most cried. Well my mechanic says I may be in luck because it broke when I was starting the car and not driving it. She is in surgery right now and I will get the call at about 11:00 to see if I bent all my valves or not. Man the weirdest thing is my car has never had any real problem and my engine has never even idled wrong, I up keep her very well. Well I fell like a family member is in surgery and I hate to admit it but I did not get much sleep last night because I was thinking about my car. Well if I did not bend any valves it’s going to be about $400.00 which isn’t to bad but If I did then its going to be like 900-1200 bucks. Well thanks for reading and for all the help and I will keep up all up to date.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ugh, I know how you feel Nick... kind of, exept mine brok going 70 MPH on the interstate, and needless to say, I'm buying a new engine :( . Good luck on not bending the valves, since you weren't going 70 MPH, you have a way better chance than I did man. lol. Good luck though, and make sure the mechanic does the job right.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Re: Well I found out what was wrong….

Nick - sorry to hear you lost the timing belt. Good luck, let us know how it turns out! At least you were only trying to start it - I wonder if it is unusual to lose a timing belt while trying to start the car.

The timing belt is like the Achilles Heel of the z31's.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I say put on a new timing belt, and see if it's fine. Ususally the lower the engine speed. the better chance you have at not damaging anything.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Even if you bent the vales the engine was moving slowly enough that a head job will get you back on track. I wouldn't even consider a new engine unless your current motor is tired or has other problems not related to this incident.

·
Registered
353 Posts
you should just buy the heads from another car , have them do an angle valve job and port and polish , and depending if its turbo or not throw in different camshafts, that will help out but then you will need to do something to do intake collector as it is a restrictor and you wont be able to use up full potential from all of the head work.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

Nick,

If you don't know when the waterpump was changed it is a good item to have them change because you will have to take all of the accessories back off again and more to do so when it goes bad. Also the CHTS and CHTS Harness are easy to get to at that point. If you don't know what the CHTS is, do a search here on zcar.com in this 84-89 section for "CHTS" and you will get lots of good information.

I would seriously consider doing those things at the same time. It is SO much simpler to do while everything is removed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts

this is exactly why I spend two days ripping apart the front of my engine and replacing the timeing belt... btw i found out that the timeing belt had been replaced at 170,000 km... and I did my timeing belt at 201,000 km's... oh well it's a load of my mind

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the mechanic call and said luckily only 1 valve is gone (#6) but the engine is other wise is great, so between the timing belt, water pump, valve, and all that stuff I am looking at $1413.13 and a week to fix :( well at least ill be driving her soon and I could be worst.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Guy is ripping you OFF......... 1400 Bucks... You get a new engine for that.... Get a Valve Job done anyplace, and put her back in yourself....

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Yea, pay him for his time and diagnostic work, then tow it home and do it yourself. I mean you COULD get a new engine. Or just port the **** outta your heads and get some new valves and slap the heads back on. With ported heads on the same block, you're going to gain I'm guessing at least 10 hp. People need to realize head work is where you REALLY get your gains from, unless you slap on a massive turbo :)

I have an old Z magazine that outlnes step by step how to change the belt on a Z31, if you want I can see about scanning it or something for you.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
if you dont want to do the repair yourself, that is a very reasonable price. a bent valve is not a big deal, replacing the entire engine would be pointless and would end up costing a whole lot more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.