Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic called and broke down the cost to fix my car:

-Frame pull: $400 (done on machine and brought back to factory spec)
-Replace right inner tie rod, fix sway bar link, replace steering rack boots, front alignment: $300
-Total (all labor included): $700

I know the second part really isn't necessary and I was planning on getting to the tie rods, sway bar link, etc but my main focus was the frame. That itself fits my budget but he suggested that I should fix those "while I'm down there" anyway. You guys think it's a good deal? Should I go with it or go with plan B?

Plan B: Sell car/total it, use money to ship my Stanza over and keep my money I would otherwise be spending on the repairs.

Oh forgot to mention that they noticed that the body shop that I bought the Z32 from didn't do a very good job of fixing the passenger side damage caused by the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
I cannot beleive you would consider totaling a Z that needs a measly $700 repair.
It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to get rid of it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I can't believe that there wasn't more cosmetic damage that would require more money. If it was damaged severely enough to get to the frame.. What else was damaged in the way of body parts and structure on the way to the frame? Have we seen pictures yet?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Z-addict Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I cannot beleive you would consider totaling a Z
> that needs a measly $700 repair.
> It sounds like you are looking for an excuse to
> get rid of it.

Every time my Z goes under the knife I seem to drop a G on it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try to get pictures of her....and yes I can afford the $700...barely, which just makes me want to double check with you guys. I already have to worry about at least $300 in exhaust repairs so added up it is a G.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
GO FOR IT!

sounds like a good deal to me for frame work... and then again... some lessons are rather expensive when it comes to the Z

but don't let go of it just because of that

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
I say fix it IF your going to KEEP IT.. if you try to see it straight away.. and people see the frame damage.. they will look at you funny...

Mike

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
kandy orange z Wrote:
> Arent all tie rods adjustable? ;)

Whoops, i was thinking about tension rods :p

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, here's what the cosmetic damage is to sum it up. Pictures tomorrow....

-Fender is pretty much fu%^ed...so is the front fascia
-Wheel has some serious rash.

They're fixing the frame so I can drive straight. After that, the car is still gonna look like $h!t.

Budget is $1533. $700 for repairs, roughly another $150 for exhaust repairs (two OEM pipes at $45 each, pay a friend to weld it on, otherwise I'm looking at $150 per side), replace fender (don't know how much used fenders cost, I'm guessing around another $100), and deal with the fascia with a little duct tape to hold her together. Total will be around $1000 then I have to factor in my books and my credit card bills.

Reason why I'm contemplating about letting her go is because I don't think the chassis will be able to handle any more abuse. Originally, my plan was for the VH swap which I have been saving up for (yep the money I'll be spending now) but after finding out that the frame repair from the past accident was not done right and adding this damage, I wouldn't know if the car would be structurally sound anymore. I understand that after 19 years the frame for this car won't be perfect, but I'm sure other 19 year old Zs that haven't been in an accident still have stronger frames from not being bent and pulled as much. I'm not trying to find an excuse, just being concerned about my own safety especially now that Old Man Winter is around the corner and I won't be able to buy winter tires after this. I mean eventually when it's time for me to do my swap (whenever that happens) I'm sure you guys would have told me to find a better specimen with solid chassis to begin with. Right now, I see it as a daily driver now....nothing more anymore. You guys prove good points, and it's actually making me think it over a little harder. Keep it up guys...

·
Premium Member
9,532 Posts
Not to be harsh, but given your financial limitations, the Z is not the car for you yet. Did you really say Duct Tape? :(
I suggest you get a solid beater and finish school, play with the hot rods when you have disposable income.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
None taken, Z-addict but you have to give me credit for keeping up with her. It was only this time of the year that I've been feeling the financial strain. I believe the Z is the car for me now. I mean how could it not be for me if I had it for three years? This accident was the first I've dealt with. Before this I never hit anything. I was only joking about the duct tape of course I'll get a new fascia down the road but to me since the fender gives off a higher presence over the fascia I was gonna replace it with one off a parts Z.

I was just thinking of letting her go because I think I can come across another one in better shape. To me, the car's just not in good shape anymore for anything else other than a daily drive. I mean the frame was damaged twice, how much more stress could you think it could take once I add the power to it?

Once I post pictures tomorrow, you guys can see what I mean.

I have two other cars lined up just in case something like this would happen and they were both ongoing projects. My stanza's in solid shape and is more versatile than the Z (makes me wonder why I didn't take her to RI instead) to be honest I've been looking forward to work on her again. Compared to the Z, the stanza's a go cart (darn thing is 2800lbs). My S30 is in beater STATUS but we all know a Z can never be a beater. See, I have a few more up my sleeve but the day will come when I find a solid TT.

·
Registered
820 Posts
chaosdrifter06 Wrote:
> My S30 is in beater STATUS but
> we all know a Z can never be a beater.

A beater sounds an aweful lot like what your Z32 is considering its currently your only mode of transportation, and yes they can. My 280ZX Turbo is my beater.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the way you put Danzeman I would start to think that my Z should go to someone that would not use it as a beater. Right now whenever my friends call my Z a whooptie I want to wail on them...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I meant hooptie....always thought the 'w' was silent...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
"w" silent or not...open to "hoop-azz" on your friends.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.