ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it turned out to be frame damage. None of the suspension components were affected, but the slight frame damage threw everything to the right. Probably looking at a frame pull. I'm going tomorrow to the body shop to get an estimate. But I would like to know what amount I should be expecting for a job like this. My mechanic said it's a small curve to the right but I obviously can't go on just that.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, so now I'm deciding what to do with it. Totaling it kinda irks me because there are so many good parts in the car (Tien springs, tokico and KYB struts, 40K motor, and 10K tranny) and I don't have space to part her out and I really would rather have someone benefit from the car's loss and have it's parts used on another Z rather than have everything be junked or melted down. Which leads me to another option: sell the car for enough to cover the cost to ship my Stanza over here.

All in all, I think this was Fate in control since the Z32's impracticality was hurting me a little in regards to space and gas mileage so looking at it that way it doesn't put me down as much. I still have my S30 and maybe after I graduate I'll do it right that time around and get a TT.

The stanza is a very underappreciated car. It's weighs less than 2800lbs and it shares a lot of parts with other more popular Nissans. The way I see it now it would make for a great autocrosser and DD.

Sorry if I sound too optimistic about this. I know another Z will be off the road because of my lack of skill. I really believed that I knew more I could have recovered from the slide despite the lack of room on the on ramp and I apologize for that. Reason I feel I should apologize to the Z community is because there are less than 40,000 Z32s that were produced for the US (not counting imported ones) and I'm responsible for taking another one off the road unless by a miracle the frame repair won't be as expensive as they say it will be.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
See what the estimate is first then report back. Make sure you get some detail as to what they will be doing. Don't forget pics!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post pics but I gotta see if I can get batteries for my camera first and it's already dark out where I'm at. Put it this way, if I'm gonna get more out of selling or totaling it rather then fixing it then I have no choice but to let her go to someone who could use what's left of her.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Sorry to hear about it, but...

If you do want to sell her as a parts car, drop me a PM.

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
p4l1ndr0m3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> frame damage = not good
>
> your car will never be straight again...

thats not actually true... it depends on how skilled your frame guy is and how tweaked it is...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my mechanic says that the frame is only slightly curved to the right and because of it shifted the steering components with it. Once the frame is back, it can be re-aligned and she'll be good to go. Question is, will I have the resources for it? The price tag for the repairs will determine what will happen to my car. Once I decide it's too high, I can sell it as a parts car or if they have the resources to get her back on the road, as a car that needs TLC. The place I was recommended to from what I heard has the top of the line frame machines that allow them to get the frame to factory spec. I'm dropping her off tomorrow at the body shop.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Luminar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> p4l1ndr0m3 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > frame damage = not good
> >
> > your car will never be straight again...
>
>
> thats not actually true... it depends on how
> skilled your frame guy is and how tweaked it is...

True, though the odds are usually not in your favor.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I'd say fix it if money allows it to happen... if you were still able to drive her home like that it doesn't sound like much damage

good luck with that quote!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I'd say fix it also. My only concern would be, not having seen it, that once the metal has been bent it might retain some "memory" and a hard bump could throw things a little out of whack again. Check to see it they suggest any reinforcement plate(s) in the bend area. And they should be able to make minor adjustments, if necessary, in the steering component mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.