Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

my 260z keeps making a weird sound like it has an ehaust leak. i that it does not because i put a new ehaust on it and tighted the nuts as tight as i could get it. it is making a slapping sound from the engine. does anyone know what it could be? thank you for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
check to make sure all of the manifold bolts are tight at the motor.

it also could be noise from the valves... when they come loose (read: need adjustment) they can make ticking/slapping type sounds.

if you can't remember the last time u did a valve adjustment, its probably time u did! kammy has excellent instructions/pictures.

·
Registered
145 Posts
manifold bolts

Same happened here.

First install OK

2nd install after dropping the tranny, I put it in as a unit and tightend the Man bolts last.. Left a gap..

Do it with a short pipe first then put on the rest of it and pull it up snugg.

Worked for me.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
check your oil, hopefully nothing fell into your ports either, like a washer!

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
It might help if you describe the sound in more detail, such as:
* is it louder or the same at higher RPM?
* Can you hear it better on one side of car than the other, or better in front that rear?
* Did it do this BEFORE you worked on it, or since?
* By "slapping sound" do you mean hands clapping or a metallic slap?

Your comment "tighten the nuts as tight as I could get them" makes it sound like you do not know a lot about cars. (Every fastener on a car has a torque limit that should not be exceeded.) So perhaps the sound is something else besides an exhaust leak.

Exhaust leaks are generally easy to trace because they often have black soot around them and/or you can feel puffs of air coming out. So you can try this around your exhaust pipe to manifold connection, too. Don't actually touch the hot engine, just put your hand down near where the pipe bolts on and see if you feel any air puffing out.

·
Registered
515 Posts
your exhaust could still be leaking, did you remember to retighten the nuts? check for any black deposits around the manifold or header.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.