ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am ramping up to start this '77 project and there's something odd that I wanted to get your take on. In the image below is the dash in my project. The entire thing is coated in a glossy, hard, black coating. I know this isn't original but I can't tell if this is some kind of cover or some kind of chemical that's been applied. It looks to me like the latter but I'm not sure what it is. Have any of you see something like this before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It kind of looks like fiberglass resin. I used some on a small wooden boat once and it had the same type of finish. Don't know what in the world would drive someone to put it on a dash, though!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wonder if someone was trying to seal up the dash cracks and found out too late it was the wrong stuff to use?

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It kind of looks like fiberglass resin. I used some on a small wooden boat once and it had the same type of finish. Don't know what in the world would drive someone to put it on a dash, though!
That sounds like a good candidate... because the center console looks as if someone either tried to do extensive repairs using fiberglass, or was trying to sculpt a new one with it. (It's THAT rough. Check out this picture:

Maybe it was a failed attempt to install a dash cap??
Maybe... Pretty catastrophic result!

I wonder if someone was trying to seal up the dash cracks and found out too late it was the wrong stuff to use?
I'd like to believe that the dash is ok under there... but that feels like a fool's wish.

So the bottom line is... whether I can remove that stuff or not. I haven't really tried to yet, but if I can't them I'm going to have to replace the dash because I really hate it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like adhesive left from a dash cap.

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you were right. I found a loose bit and started picking at it...

Not looking forward to picking all that off... but I'll probably be getting a proper cover for it once I see what's underneath anyway so it doesn't have to be beautiful.

As for that center console... There was actually a real center console under there! After I pulled off all that fiberglass, I excavated it. It's broken in the middle, presumably what started this bizarre fiberglass adventure...

I can probably repair it with some epoxy and a plastic backing plate... But I'm not looking forward to cleaning all that goop out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Suggest using some thin sheet metal for the backing plate and attaching it with JB weld adhesive. That adhesive sticks well to both plastic and metal. You can then use more of the adhesive to fill in the cracks after the splice-plate repair has dried. The filler can then be readily trimmed and finished with a Dremel.

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A replacement would be a good idea.
I agree, though at this point it's a matter of triage. There are a lot of missing interior parts (like the carpet, passenger seat, etc) so I'm going to put resources toward filling the gaps. If my repair of the center console isn't 100% successful I'll get a full replacement later down the road.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,484 Posts
I agree, though at this point it's a matter of triage. There are a lot of missing interior parts (like the carpet, passenger seat, etc) so I'm going to put resources toward filling the gaps. If my repair of the center console isn't 100% successful I'll get a full replacement later down the road.
You need a friend with a parts car!

·
Registered
1977 280Z Manual
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You need a friend with a parts car!
Definitely, the stuff that's missing is kinda random, leading me to think this car may have initially been a parts car itself. Missing carpet, missing passenger seat and seatbelt, missing kick panels, missing hood release handle...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts