ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I've got an oil leak with my 300ZX. its unbeleivably weird. sometiems it leaks and other times it doesn't. I think it might have something to do with cold weather but maybe not. My dad and I recently dropped the transmission to replace the clutch. While we were at it we replaced the Rear main oil seal. Our guess is that we must have somehow installed that incorrectly even though we followed the haynes manual exactly and it took like 15 min to install. Anyway, I'm looking to fix the oil leak and sell the car, and with that money buy a Turbo 1st gen 300ZX. So I'm wondering what we should do. It might not be the real main oil seal, so I'm gonna describe this in depth.

It only leaks sometimes. I've been checking the oil every day on it and its been consistent. It was reading about 1/2 between min and max on dip stick yesterday. This morning I start my car up, i hear the engine clicking with the rotations, so I turn it off and check the oil. Sure enough its not even registering on the dip stick. I look on the driveway, oil stains are visible. The first thing im gonna do is tighten up the bolt on the oil pan and pray thats it, but what I'm wondering is if its feasible to think that that much oil could leak out of the rear main oil seal of a parked 300ZX in one night?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I have not gotten under the car. I just got some time today after school so I'll give it a shot.

fa-kin-a, so you say the main oil seal is above the oil reserve so it couldnt leak out of that. correct?

·
Registered
657 Posts
i wouldnt start tightening things untill you find where it is leaking....... if you over tighten the oil pan then it will also leak.......... i would get under the car with some brake clean and clean all oil off the egine......... run her and then see where she's leaking.

·
Registered
304 Posts
oil on concrete looks like more than it really is. it spreads out and makes a huge puddle even though not much leaks.

one thing that you can do is a dye test with a UV light. you pour some of the UV dye into your oil and run it for a few days. then use the UV light to trace where the leak is coming from. it will glow when the UV light shines on it.

if you can get your hands on a kit to do this it will help dramaticly in diagnosing the problem.

hope it helps
cheers
zelotic

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya. i remember tightening the oil pan while i was bored working on my tranny. Over tightening causes oil leaks?

·
Registered
37 Posts
first thing you should do is to clean your whole engine, top, bottom, the whole lot. fill it with oil then leave it for a night(as u said it lost oil ova night). cheak it in the morning, if you can't find any oil leaks then take it for a drive(bout 30min) then have a look. as long as you clean the whole engine properly you should be able to find the leak this way.
hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.