ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm trying to get my Z on the road. I took it in to get inspected last week, they said it needed ball joints, tie rod, rear quarter panel work on both sides and floor work. I got the ball joints and tie rod stuff done. I take it to the body shop tommorow. The car though at speeds around 55 MPH, the car will weave a little. It's scary actually because I think I'm gonna start to fish tail sometimes. The car needs an aligment because when the car is straight, the steering wheel is turned. Also, you have to hold the steering wheel up a little to go straight or else it will snap back quickly it seems like. One way it goes easy, the other way, you gotta give it more effort. The ride is harsh too. I'm thinking it's the shocks because when I hit a bumb, I feel like I am slamming the ground and I have the shocks set to normal. When I hit a bump or pot hole too, the steering wheel will jerk, almost out of my hand. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
steering rack. $$$$$$$

also, this is DANGEROUS. you must not drive the car until you get this fixed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that's what I thought he was talking about. Those are alot of money huh? GREAT! :(

Well if it's that then this sucks because I was suppose to bring it to the body shop tommorow. Guess that should wait huh. My 10 days will end tommorow and then I'll have to have it inspected before I can drive it on the road and that won't happen untill the body work is done.

Oh well. I've had 2 Z's before this and they were in bader shape. This one I'm gonna keep.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
well, what it comes down to is any time you are having a hard time CONTROLLING the car then its dangerous to drive. I would advise against it until you get it to a mechanic who can tell you for sure whats causing it. for instance, my SS likes to pull left and right on bumps, which Im assuming is bad shocks. into the garage it goes until I have it fixed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh I understand why I probably shouldn't drive the car. I mean if the car is weaving, people must think I'm drunk or trying to be a race car driver but doing a shitty job at it LOL.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah a new rack was the first replacement on my baby last year when i got her. Its a pretty penny especially if you dont install it. Mistake on my part. YEah mine was around 700$ total it sucked. OLD Foreign car parts and mechanics are like the anti christ and are here to ruin life. TThey're like wasps they Serve NO PURPOSE. Anyway have fun with that/

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
check the strut rod bushings, they will cause what you describe.get an alignment. a good alignment man will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is. theres a possibility the shop thats doing the body work does alignments or can hook you up with a good shop.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i would also get under the car and check the sub-frame.......... i had an 87 golf that did the same thing........ it was a cracked sub-frame. took me like 6 months to figure it out..... just something to think about!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay. Well I just took my Z to the body shop.. It drove a little better but when I hit a bump, the car jerks left or right. I'll get an alignment and have some other stuff looked at too.

I'll have the body shop look at the subframe too.

It's been a long time since I've driven a Z so I might not be use to the car too, all I know is it gets up to speeds quick :)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
a Z should not Jerk or weave. these are sports cars. they are supposed to GIVE you control of your driving, not take it away. you have something SERIOUSLY wrong if your car jerks when you hit a bump or you are having any problem keeping control of the car. have the front end inspected ASAP before you kill yourself. what happens if tommorow you are driving along at 50+ and your linkage goes out or something on your suspension fails and you have no control over the car. you might even hurt someone else.
I speak from experience when I say high speed car accidents HURT alot. and can mess up your face pretty bad. I can show you a picture of what could happen if you want.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh, I'd like to see that pic.

I heard some clunking or something of that sort and maybe some squeeking from the front end, sounded like it was coming from the front chassis area, suspension area. I did make it to the body shop though and I'll have them inspect it and see what they find.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just got my Z out the shop cost 255.00 to install rack remanu. which cost 140.00. The 255.00 included tie rods both sides at 130.00 and an alignment and fluids.

z4life

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.