ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's one i know a lot of you have to deal with... a few months ago I bought a weather stripping set from a some classic datsun company i found online, the set was nearly $300 and all i needed were the doors and hatch, but the guy wouldn't sell me them seperately (they were supposedly out of stock on individual parts and no! i didnt have a motorsport or vic. brit. catalog at the time.)

Well, the passanger door turned out great, however the drivers door and hatch left something to be desired. infact, probably since this was my first time installing weather stripping, the drivers side started ripping and is all messed up, same as the hatch. i dont want to spend another couple hundred on another set.

does anyone know of a more AFFORDABLE place to order from? on the 510 mailing list i subscribe to, someone suggested JC Whitney (??Whitley) i checked out thier catalog and they are very affordable, but i dont know exactly what type of weather stripping i should buy.

also the clips that hold on the stripping are shot to heck. JC has two sizes that look like what i want, but i cant be sure. and does the hatch have the same type of clipping also, because my poor lil 71 doesnt have any.

someone please help!!! my poor lil Z is getting rain inside. -ed

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If the door seals were anything like I ordered from motorsport, then I know how much they suck and are a pain in the ass to install. I don't know how you can mess up the trunk seal, but you can buy it individually from motorsport (800-633-6331) for about $150. Here is my recommendation for door seals. Go to the junk yard and find a 95 or so Isuzu Impreza. Pull the door seals and they fit great into the early Z. Actually there is more seal than you need, so you just trim to the desired length and it looks/performs wonderfully. I think I paid $11 for the pair of door seals. Click on the link title below for a picture.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
JUNKYARD!!!!! 240ZT has the idea, not only does the Subaru make a good donor, so do most of the Hyundai's!!! just don't tell you friends. TC

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
. Here is my recommendation
> for door seals. Go to the junk yard and find
> a 95 or so Isuzu Impreza. Pull the door
> seals and they fit great into the early Z.

i may be a little off on this, but if you're going to install weather stripping, shouldn't you go with something new? if you use used weather stripping your going to have to change it twice as much, or is there something im missing about the impreza stripping?

the hatch stripping i didn't really mess up...to bad. what happened was, I stretched it out as i tried to glue it in. then i made the mistake of cutting the extra stripping. then the glue gave up on me. so i pulled it all off. and if you live in the bay area, you'll understand when i say i now have a pond in my trunk. =)

that's why i asked about clips for the hatch, like the ones on the doors. That weather stripping glue from Grand Auto truly sucks.

Besides, $150 is alot to pay if the stripping from jc is the same quality. has anyone ordered the weather stripping from there???

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might check out a place called Precision Peplacement Parts (800) 367-8241. They sell complete kits to members of IZCC for $175. Never tried one, but they supposedly work great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might check out a place called Precision Peplacement Parts (800) 367-8241. They sell complete kits to members of IZCC for $175. Never tried one, but they supposedly work great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.