ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 81280zx non turbo starts right up and dies in 2 or 3 seconds. won't start again for a few minutes and then will start up and immediately die again. the fuel pump checks out fine, the injectors are good, plugs are new, cold start valve is good, the TPS is fine. I pulled the coil wire out of the dist and I am getting a yellow spark. could this be my whole problem or should i look elsewhere 1st? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
What is the battery voltage across the battery terminals?

What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and engine ground with the key in "run" and engine "off"?

What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and battery ground with the key in "run" and engine "off"?

What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and engine ground with the key in "run" and engine "running"?

What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and battery ground with the key in "run" and engine "running"?

Disconnect all wires from the ignition coil.

The resistance between the '+' and '-' terminals of the coil should be between 0.84 and 1.02 ohms.

The resistance between the high voltage output terminal and '-' terminal of the coil should be between 8.2 and 12.4 K ohms.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

G

·
0 Posts
Without a doubt Wayne is one of the brighter people on this board and you should follow his directions. As a rule a yellow spark is an indicator of a weak coil. I had that and sometimes my 77 would cut out then I could not get it started again. I have since replaced the coil with an MDS Blaster 2 (don't know if it would be applicable to your year) and the problem has gone away but I have also changed a boatload of other parts too so it is hard to say if it was just the coil. The spark I get now is a nice fat bluish white spark that sounds like a stun gun. Regardless of what the problem ends up being you might want to consider another coil. Good luck. John

·
Registered
44 Posts
What is the battery voltage across the battery terminals?
-11.90v
What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and engine
ground with the key in "run" and engine "off"?
-12.40v
What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and battery
ground with the key in "run" and engine "off"?
-12.10v
What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and engine
ground with the key in "run" and engine "running"?
-Shown No voltage
What is the voltage between the '+' coil terminal and battery
ground with the key in "run" and engine "running"?
-Shown No voltage
Disconnect all wires from the ignition coil.

The resistance between the '+' and '-' terminals of the coil
should be between 0.84 and 1.02 ohms.
-1.0 ohm
The resistance between the high voltage output terminal and
'-' terminal of the coil should be between 8.2 and 12.4 K
ohms.
-Shown No Voltage

What is all this test tell me?
Test with the new coil installed I still have a weak sparks.
Could be the power transistor causing the weak sparks?
(I have 12.37v from the plug supply the power to the dizzy.)Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.