ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 1983 zxt and it felt kind of on the weak side as far as boost. It has high miles, but it seems like ir runs like a clock. The boost on the stock guage went up to the red, but it still felt different than my 81 zxt. I was just wondering what could be causing this, whether it be the wastegate, or the pop off valve... I was driving it and it felt like there was a sudden surge of boost, but only once, it never happened again. I was driving up a hill and for like half a second it just like took off, the guage showed no more boost at that second, but it was kind of wierd to me. Can the wastegate stick and prevent it from reaching its full potential, while maintaing correct boost at the guage? If so, where is it located and how would i test it. thanks,
mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
I run an '82 turbo motor in my '73 240. I've had this problem for three years and finally found it. Pull the computer (in the left kick panel), remove the metal cover and re-solder the wiring harness connectors on the circuit board. Use extra flux and cleaning chemicals (alcohol and a glue brush) to make a good repair. Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If the boost is redlining on a factory guage I would guess the boost at 8 - 9 psi. That is what i measured at that level. That would be normal. The lag in acceleration is probably turbo lag.

·
Registered
506 Posts
First check the boost gauge, turn the car on but not running, the boost gauge should be at zero, if it's not adjust using the trimmer behind the glove box insert. Once the gauge is working, if the boost gauge maxes then the wastegate is not working properly and the emergency pressure relief valve is probably venting to the atmosphere and creating a rich condition.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.