ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a leaky hose, so I replaced the 2 uppers and the lower hose, flushed the system sevral times (it was very rusty and nasty) and filled it with good coolant over the weekend. Then while driving to school last night, my radiator light flashed on for a moment, then went off. When I got to school, it seemed normal, but it was hot, so I didn't open anything. During the first break, I figured I should go check and I noticed a large puddle under my car. I checked the filler and it was dry! I went in and got a bottle of water and couldn't fit the full 20oz's. I moved my car to see if it was still leaking and it seemed ok. Then on the drive home, the light came on again.

So this morning before driving to work, I noticed it was leaking when the engine was running. It's not leaking from the hoses I replaced, but it seems to be leaking from somewhere in the front of the motor. Could the water pump be leaking? The short little hose on top dosn't seem to be leaking, the only thing I can think of is the pump.

Guess it's time for a pump/seal/timming belt job this weekend, unless there is something else it could be.

Also, does anyone know what the little metal hose piece that runs through the nose is called? Can I get one form NAPA, or is that a dealer part? Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is a thermostat bypass hose that runs from the filler neck to the thermostat. It is probably leaking. You can hardly see it, let alone change it without doing a lot of teardown. The timing belt covers are in the way, among other things.

·
Registered
657 Posts
are you talking about the metal hose that goes through the frame piece over the radiator shroud.......... if so i think its going to be a dealer part...... but i think you could fab one up....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I pulled it all apart and I was getting my parts together to replace EVERYTHING and the dealer didn't have 2 parts that are now on order:
Sprocket Plate
Little 4" hose to the thermostat

So I figured, since I am waiting anyway, why not order a Maxima alternator as well (since nobody had one of those in stock either). When it's all said and done, everything will be new again. It was a pain to find the hose that runs from the engine to the filler neck, but I did get one.

I did notice before I removed the pully wheels from the crank that when I had the cams lined up dot-to-dot that the timing marks on the pully were about 30 degrees retarted. I haven't pulled the balancer off to see what the timing gear is sitting on, but I will do that tonight. If the three don't match up, I'll panic then, otherwise I figure the last guy to put the pullys back on had them bolted on wrong since there is no notch or key for the pullies.

The timing belt I am replacing has a few missing teeth, some nice frayed edges, and is in overall "worn" condition. I went for a $15 fix to a $300 weekend in a hurry!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was leaking from the hose that runs from behind the timing belt housing on to of the motor. It was running down the front of the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.