ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My zxt has two sensors in the thermostat housing. Which one is for the temp. guage and what does the other one go to? They both have one wire sticking out, and there are two cut wires that I think connect to them. I know one is for the temp guage because I ground it and the guage goes all the way up. Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't like driving around not knowing how hot my engine is. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
One is for the gauge and the other is for the cooling fan. The one w/the bullet style connector is the one for the gauge. The one w/the blade style connector is for the fan.

I have a customer w/a Buick GN that blew both the head gaskets and warped the heads because the gauge sender didn't work. He didn't know that the car had overheated until it was too late. It really sucks since it is a high 10 second car.

Good luck!!!

Ian

> My zxt has two sensors in the thermostat
> housing. Which one is for the temp. guage
> and what does the other one go to? They both
> have one wire sticking out, and there are
> two cut wires that I think connect to them.
> I know one is for the temp guage because I
> ground it and the guage goes all the way up.
> Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't
> like driving around not knowing how hot my
> engine is. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
> My zxt has two sensors in the thermostat
> housing. Which one is for the temp. guage
> and what does the other one go to? They both
> have one wire sticking out, and there are
> two cut wires that I think connect to them.
> I know one is for the temp guage because I
> ground it and the guage goes all the way up.
> Any help is greatly appreciated. I don't
> like driving around not knowing how hot my
> engine is. Thanks.

Ok the very top one that under the hose to the radiator is the fan the one below it is the water temp.
hehe one thing I found out when I change mine was I took the fan one off and took it to the auto parts plus and he look it up and it was saying it was for a 1984zx they where thinking I had a v6 300 in the car this tell me one thing that some of the parts on the 1983 has some part from the 84 v6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Ok the very top one that under the hose to
> the radiator is the fan the one below it is
> the water temp.
> hehe one thing I found out when I change
> mine was I took the fan one off and took it
> to the auto parts plus and he look it up and
> it was saying it was for a 1984zx they where
> thinking I had a v6 300 in the car this tell
> me one thing that some of the parts on the
> 1983 has some part from the 84 v6.

Mine doesn't have the cooling fan, the PO must have removed it. Could this cause my car to be cutting out sometimes at high rpms? Are the turbo models supposed to have this fan? Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
> Mine doesn't have the cooling fan, the PO
> must have removed it. Could this cause my
> car to be cutting out sometimes at high
> rpms? Are the turbo models supposed to have
> this fan? Thanks for the help.

Ok In my books I have the Haydes hehe not sure if I spell that one right. the Tow truck driver borrowed it. In one of the frist ten pages they show both the turbo 83 and non turbo they both have the fan on it. I beleave they are on all the 280z and the zx Now I dont know about 84 and above they have a v6 in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe one is for the gauge, and the other is an input to the computer that tells it when to idle down after the car gets warm. It's called a thermotime switch. I believe the electric fan is only for the a/c condenser, and is controlled by the a/c controls. This applies only to ECCS (turbo) cars. Non aspirated cars use a totally separate system.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top