ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a scale of 1-10. How hard would it be to install a new water pump on a '92 Z? I'm thinking about doing it myself, just want to know what i'm getting into. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I don't know about where it ranks on a scale, but it's not that though. You will need the allen-style drivers to use with your wratchet to get the bolts out that hold the coolant pipes and water pump in. If you pull the water pump it is very likely that you will get coolant on your timing belt. If that happens it is highly recommended that you change it.

It's the kind of thing that is very important that it is done right. There is a good write-up on TT.net that will lead you through it just fine.

Post Edited (Jan 12, 3:40pm)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
pretty easy.. To protect the timing belt cover it with some rags and plastic. Not that big a deal if you get some on it, just do not let it swim in it. It is not that the coolant will eat it up, it will possibly cause it to slip. If you get some on it clean it off really well.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Once the two coolant pipes are off you can also siphon enough coolant out so that the level is below the opening where the water pump attaches. That is what I did so that I wouldn't end up with coolant all over the floor of my garage when I pulled the water pump off.

Why not change the timing belt while you are in there? In order to get to the water pump you have to take everything off that is needed to get to the timing belt.

Post Edited (Jan 12, 2:37pm)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
4-5 hours.. phhhttt

Last one I did in just barely over 2.. then again I had the unfortunate experience of doing 3 in 3 weeks.. (1-60k service, 2-bad pump installed during 60k, 3-2nd one went south due to bad pump trashed the fan clutch which then trashed the pump...)

Seriously, not that difficult

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.