ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when it started raining this season, I noticed a leak onto the footwell on the passenger side of my 79zx... then this last rain I noticed it on the drivers side too!

My cowl panel DOES have a couple of small rust holes in it at the base of the windshield, I assume this is the problem?

If that is the problem, How come the black vent slots don't leak the same way? What's under the cowl panel for drainage, etc?

If anyone has had the cowl replaced by a shop, how much was it? Is it cheaper to have the rusty one cut and welded, or buy a whole new panel and have it welded in?

Any advice or info is appreciated!

Thunder(79zxr)

·
Registered
588 Posts
There are drains in the cowl that may be clogged. But my friend had a similar problem on the passenger side. We thought water was coming in behind the battery where there was a large rust hole, but it turned out that the drain for the air conditioner fan box (black plastic box under the glove box w/small drain hose) was clogged, and the box actually filled itself with over a quart of water that finally over flowed onto the carpet. Unclogging the drain did the trick. Maybe you have the same problem and it has found a way to trickle to the driver's side too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip... I don't have A/C, so I don't think its that, but I'll try to check out the cowl drain...

Thunder

·
Registered
177 Posts
water is the biggest demon i'm trying to overcome in my ZX...

i've been trying to think of all the possible locations for water to come in...
and heres a few known leaks i have...or have had... and a few i'm suspicious of...
known:
the water channels over the doors... my driver's side leaked through there... a test is to trickle water into it... with the door open.. and see if water dumps into the car... if it does... then.. its not channeling it anywhere but onto your carpet.
another place i know mine leaks from... is the top two corners of my hatch glass... it drips down onto the floor behind my seats... and under the carpet.. there are metal channels in the floorboards that are supposed to channel water to the drain plugs in the front.. but, unless you've unplugged them... you've just got standing water in your car. get a cup and start bailing!
now... my suspected leaks are as follows
i'm thinking water may be coming in from between the glass in the door and the little rubber strip on the outside of the glass
(on the door.... the glass slides up and down between a strip of rubber on the outside.. and a fuzzy strip on the inside.)
the rubber on both of my doors.. dont even touch the glass...
so.. i'm thinking it may be running down into the door.. and out through the inside door panel....
also... the weatherstripping...down towards the front of the door (nearest the hinge) there's some really old looking weatherstripping there... (its like a short little piece... with overspray all over it) that weatherstripping is all shrivelled and cracked...
perhaps even the main weatherstripping as well.. though.. unless the water is being blown at the car from the sides.... pretty hard.. it doesnt usually come in there....

anyways... those are a few things to check....
i've taken all the carpet out of my ZX... its got all metal floors...
and everytime it rains... my windows will be fogged for a day or two from the tremendous humidity in there... and it'll start to smell.. until it dries completely.
i cannot afford to simply replace and fix all that i've stated above... so.. i cant tell you what fixes are actually gonna stop the water... but.. it should give you a few options to look at.

Good luck and boy do i feel your pain...

-Justin

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 71 is leaking water from the bottom corners of front window. It doesn't look too obvious unless you look close enough to see it. Water goes down between the dash and door panels, and to floor. I used clear silicone to seal it last year and it seemed to cure the problem, but it's started leaking again this year. This is due to poor installation of windshield.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well i don't know on 79's but on my 72 there are drains in the cowl area that go through the firwall and run a vinyl hose down through the area where your feet and pedals are and then out into the fender area where it runs down the inside fender to the ground..If you pull a front fender you should see the hose coming out between the wheel well and the door. It could be that it is clogged and it filled and is seeping through the seal or perhaps your hose is cracked and the water is leaking through it...
Try looking up where your clutch pedal s and see if you see a 90 degree hose coming from the cowl and going to the kick panel...
If you have the cowl off (or just take it off) I would get some rubberized undercoating and sound deadener from a auto body supply house and spray it throughout the cowl area to seal any small leaks.....

Good luck and hope this helps...

By the way you were'nt running the heater for a first time in a long time where you??? could be your heater coil went or a hose to it went.....

Z ya later
Mike K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.