ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was reading in a book that I have at work about turbo's superchargers etc, and under the turbo section there is a part about fighting detonation. One of the main things that it talks about is injection water into the engine while under boost to quench the cyl. temperatures. Is this something worth trying? it doesn't seem to difficult. If anybody is interested I will post the article. Also, will an aftermarket guage fit into the stock location? eg:boost guage?

thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Water injection for a turbo system is like putting a Band-Aid on cancer. The best way of dealing w/detonation on a turbo motor is to cure it w/the correct fuel and timing curves. Water injection acts like an intercooler. However, it will not cure a lean condition or too much timing. With modern engine control systems, the need for water injection is obsolete. Water injection was popular in the 60's and 70's when turbo systems used carburators. I highly recomend staying away from it if you can.

Ian

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Water injection for a turbo system is like
> putting a Band-Aid on cancer. The best way
> of dealing w/detonation on a turbo motor is
> to cure it w/the correct fuel and timing
> curves. Water injection acts like an
> intercooler. However, it will not cure a
> lean condition or too much timing. With
> modern engine control systems, the need for
> water injection is obsolete. Water injection
> was popular in the 60's and 70's when turbo
> systems used carburators. I highly recomend
> staying away from it if you can.

> Ian

Good points Ian correct fuel and timing curves are the key to building a reliable powerfull motor . This must first be dealt with in order to turn up the boost any further . However water/methanol injection does have its advantages, most of its advantages are for the racing application . Water injection is more effective it can lower air temp to below atmospheric (dew point temp a couple degrees lower). An intercooler can never come close to that, because of its exchange design . Water injection allows 44psi on WRC cars . The MAJOR DRAWBACK is it is a mechanic device prone to failure, when it fails you get major engine damage at high boost levels . I would go with the recommendation of Ian and stick with a big intercooler .

·
Registered
863 Posts
I heard that it's not a good idea to put water injection on a Nissan. I guess Nissan uses copper in with the aluminum on some of there heads and when the water enters the head and vaporizes it makes the copper and aluminum separate, thus damaging the head. I don't know which heads are made of what (maybe someone else does) its just something I read. I've also seen people put water injection on there Z's with good results.
> Ok, I was reading in a book that I have at
> work about turbo's superchargers etc, and
> under the turbo section there is a part
> about fighting detonation. One of the main
> things that it talks about is injection
> water into the engine while under boost to
> quench the cyl. temperatures. Is this
> something worth trying? it doesn't seem to
> difficult. If anybody is interested I will
> post the article. Also, will an aftermarket
> guage fit into the stock location? eg:boost
> guage?