ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a leaking gasket and got a heap of water in the oil.
The oil was a thick brown sludge.

Stripped the heads off and can dismantle and clean those.
Any ideas on how to clean the bottom half.

Best idea I have is to remove the pan - wash and rinse with kerosine or petrol. Once I have the pan off I plan to turn th engine upside down and rinse off the shaft and bores.

Any better ideas or anything else I should be doing?
Thanks for the help guys.

84 300ZX NA

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
be careful that anything you use to clean the block out doesn't eat up any seals or gaskets or piston rings. other than that, your method posted is pretty much what i'd do.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Use off-road diesel.

cheaper than kerosene, not a nickels worth of difference and you can get it in any quantity you need. You wont know the difference between the two. It should be safe for pretty much any parts hard or soft you want to clean/soak.

Clean the **** out of your oil pan. Let than thing soak good. You may be amazed at the amount of crap that is hidden down in those baffles. Same thing with the head valve covers. Clean the splash guard baffles well. You will be glad you did.

Unless you are planning to tear apart the block and clean all the parts, replace the wear parts and reassemble...read "lots of work unless you've done it before". Then I would take the entire short block and have them soak it in their cleaning tank for a day. (take the oil pump off first) When you get it back it will be shiny and look a lot newer than it really is.

Personally, I would take the time and $$ to replace your crank seals, rings and other wear parts. No telling how much damage that water really did to these. End of the day you will have a nice tight and practically "new" engine.

Just my 10 cents. (inflation)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Use off-road diesel.

Thanks for the reply.
How hard is it to strip down the block and clean it fully, given that I already have the block with the heads off on the engine stand?

I dunno whether this sludge will come out itself or whether I have clean everything fully. On the other hand I don't want to get another motor.

At this stage I didn't plan to strip it fully.

Are any special tools needed to strip the block?

I would try to put the pistons and rings back exactly as they came out.
That is no new rings and no honing. The bores look okay - hone marks still there and no sign of any lip.

It only ran a few miles with the water in the oil and was good before.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.