ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the car wash. Was running fine before, now it won't rev beyond ~2600. It is cutting out like there is some sort of rev limiter in place. Drives just fine, engine sounds good. Just won't rev. Any idea how I screwed this one up?

Thanks!
Ant

·
Read Only
3,883 Posts
well from your name im guessing that you have a 280 right?? if so and your running fuel injection check all your connectors and those to the afm. you probably have water/moisture in those connectors. thats what is sounds like to me write back to tell if this helped.

good luck

james
pittsburgh pa

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
do NOT wash your engine....

no you didn't F it up for good but it sure is embarrasing when you hit the throttle and do a nose dive at ~2600RPM.... you can iether dry off all the connections around your engine or you cna leave it for a day and it'll be just fine... next time when you wash your engine try what I do... pressure wash the spark plug side theres not much there that willl cause problems... just use your head... on the other side I pressurse wash under the fuel rail and it cleaned up real nice... and you can pressure wash your air box and the under side of your hood... next I get all the containers like washer flued and the over flow tank for the rad. I love clean brake booster so that is next and as far as the dizzy goes... a wet cloth works for me.

Dan

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
LOL guess I should have titled it

my way to wash a fuel injected Z engine

Dan

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Re: LOL guess I should have titled it

Hi Anton-------------Good advice from everybody on the connectors. Pay special attention to the throttle position switch connection. Due to the design of the tps, there is a small cup where the connection is made, and this will fill with water and cause a malfunction of the switch and limited rpm's. The tps is located on the side of the throttle body.

Roadman
Gulfport, MS

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
If you had a can of WD-40 with you could have displace the water and you would not have a problem... You would spray both sides with short bust of spray... Chevy use to have a lillte metal door to set the dwell when they had points... If you got it wet you would take the cap off and srpay it out... This is a very old quick fix...

Z U V8ter

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the winner is....

Water in the TPS YEAH! It runs like normal again, which means I still have a lot of work to do, but it runs! Thanks to all for your advice. This problem took me a grand total of ten minutes to resolve thank to y'all.
Question: I actually just got the TPS hooked up a couple weeks ago, probably why I never had this problem before. What is it actually good for?

Thanks again!
Ant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.