ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey my dash is in great shape, except at the front of the dash, right under the window, where the dash connects with like the defroster i guess, the dash is like peeling up a bit, can i glue this down or what

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since no one responded to your question I will offer my two cents:

I tried to glue mine down when it started bubbling-up as I call it. On mine it worked for a while but then another spot bubbled-up. Mine didn't stay glued down long; never could get it all the way down. Then the little seams that look kind of like stitches on the left and right of the area above the steering wheel split. Basically, I believe there is little you can do except keep it out of the sun. It was hard for me to get the glue in that tight space between the window and the dash without getting it everywhere. Before it gets worse, I think a better and much harder solution might be to take it off, clean the deteriorated glue, etc. and reinforce it from the bottom up somehow while it is still in good shape. This is a gamble of your time though--it still might not make a difference. I have not tried this so I'm only speculating.

Eventually, of course there is also the option of the dash cap for about $90. I had one on a 260z once--I didn't notice what it was until after I had purchased the car. It looked good enough for me not to notice it. Of course at that time I had never heard of nor seen them before.

I am currently considering purchasing a new dash if I can find one. I do know the 85 instrument panel as it is called is not available anymore from Nissan. But I do not know if an 87, 88, or 89 is available or whether they are different part numbers from the 84 - 86s, or whether they would fit an 85 like mine if they are different. Hopefully they are only cosmetically different. I will be asking this question on this site shortly.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.