ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard a few people say that in turbo car u have to let the engine get almost to full temp (turbo also) before driving. and after u drive it let it idle for about 10 mins to let the turbo cool down before shutting engine off. is this true?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
You dont "have" to, but i dont know about the warm up, i let my auto trannies warm up before driving them.......You should let your turbos idle for at least 3-5 minutes, when turning off the car...10 is a little much....Help them spool down without the sudden loss of vaccum......

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
did you get a turbo car? I thought you drove a NA.

I let my SS idle for about 2-3 minutes, then drive it very easily till it gets to operating tempurature. I only drive it once a month or so, so Im going extra easy on it.

as far as turning it off I let it idle for about 2 minutes before I turn it off. the car lives in a garage at the top of a steep hill so I think I should every time I put it away.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I just always take it easy before I get home and then I let idle for about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Let car reach full operating temp before boosting, it may not break it if you dont, but warm oil flows much better than cold oil. Before turning off, refrain from boosting at all for a mile or so before you turn it off. Turbo timers are a "Fast and Furious" bullshit option. Common sense free if you use it. Z-ya

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I let my car warm up for about 10 min. before I even move it. I usually take it easy for the first 2 or 3 minutes of driving at about 2g rpm. I think that I might need a new oil pump because it sounds like a diesel until then. And when I'm going to park it, I drive at about 2g rpm for the last couple of miles, and let it idle in the driveway for about 4 minutes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sportdriverGT wrote:

> did you get a turbo car? I thought you drove a NA

no...not yet, still have the na. but my dad and i got to talking about turbo cars and he said about how u have to let the warm up before driving it and cool down after running it. i had never heard that before that is why i askd here.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Geez people...let it warm up however much it needs whether it be 10 seconds or 10 minutes, depending on your cars condition and ambient temps. Any more than is necessary is a waste of time and gasoline. 88hybrid is on it. Idling down for more than 1 minute is pretty much bs.
Copied from a forgotten website:

MYTH:
You have to let a turbo engine idle for two minutes before you shut it off.
FACT:
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today’s turbocharged gasoline engines that operate at higher peak exhaust temperatures than turbo-diesels. In the early days of turbochargers, the turbo shaft was supported by a babbitt bearing that could seize, or even melt, if the engine was shut off immediately after sustained boost conditions where the turbocharger would “heat soak”. A two minute cool down at idle allowed the turbocharger to dissipate any remaining spinning inertia, and the oil circulation cooled the bearing and prevented oil “coking” in the bearing area. Turbochargers haven’t used babbitt bearings for over 30 years, and today’s oils resist coking. Synthetic oils won’t coke, period. With a turbocharged gas engine, it’s still good insurance to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to a minute to allow the turbo or turbos to dissipate any inertia and to cool the bearing area to prevent oil coking, especially if the engine has been worked hard just prior to shut-down. Of course, using quality synthetic oil eliminates this potential coking problem.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
oo and I use mobil 1 synthetic. lucky me :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.