ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a rebuild kit for an 83 5-speed. Checker had one for $160, but has anybody used one? I am not too sure if all of the possible spacer c-clips are in the kit. If anybody has rebuilt the complete tranny, and has a source for the parts, please help. I will do the work myself, I just need the parts. Thanks for any help. I want to rebuild the whoel thing and replace everything possible because it has over 200k on it, does that sound resonable. I believe I really broke the input shaft bearing, I pulled the bearing race or ball spacers rather out of the drain.
Thanks,
Joshua L

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I am looking for a rebuild kit for an 83
> 5-speed. Checker had one for $160, but has
> anybody used one? I am not too sure if all
> of the possible spacer c-clips are in the
> kit. If anybody has rebuilt the complete
> tranny, and has a source for the parts,
> please help. I will do the work myself, I
> just need the parts. Thanks for any help. I
> want to rebuild the whoel thing and replace
> everything possible because it has over 200k
> on it, does that sound resonable. I believe
> I really broke the input shaft bearing, I
> pulled the bearing race or ball spacers
> rather out of the drain.
> Thanks,
> Joshua L

$160 sounds a little steep for a rebuild kit, and i would question the quality if it's from checker. do you own a turbo or n/a zx? the gearboxes are different, but the price for the kit should be about the same. i would look around for a parts store specializing in transmissions. you can usually pick up a nice kit for a lot less money. i've rebuilt the tranny in my old car three times and never paid more than a $100 for the kit.

the kits come with all the bearings, synchros, the front gasket, and two seals. you shouldn't need any more parts unless you severly damaged your tranny. everything else is designed to be sealed with silicon. the kit will give you a brass synchro for fifth gear, but if your tranny came with a steel synchro set for fifth, stick with the steel. they last forever and shift better.

200k is pretty good for a japanese tranny. they usually burn up a bearing by 100k. usually the first bearing to go is the center bearing on the countershaft, at least in the datsun trannies. it sits in the bottom of the tranny and pumps all the junk through it, especially when you chip some metal off reverse.

one other thing, i recently switched my gearbox oil to redline mtl and the difference is worth the $8 a quart. the tranny shifts great.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I questioned Checkers kit as well, and buying parts from Vic Brit is expensive if even complete. Do you by any chance know the brand of the kit you used? My tranny is not the turbo borg warner, just the N/A 5-speed, which is good. Thanks for your help.
Joshua L.

Oh, what transmission shop did you use, I called around a few months ago and everybody told me they could not get a kit, just parts for it if I knew what I needed, and if I remember correctly, it was very expensive buying it that way. They quoted something like 350-400 for the parts for it, that is why I paid 350 for another used 5-speed. Thanks.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks for the info. I questioned Checkers
> kit as well, and buying parts from Vic Brit
> is expensive if even complete. Do you by any
> chance know the brand of the kit you used?
> My tranny is not the turbo borg warner, just
> the N/A 5-speed, which is good. Thanks for
> your help.
> Joshua L.

> Oh, what transmission shop did you use, I
> called around a few months ago and everybody
> told me they could not get a kit, just parts
> for it if I knew what I needed, and if I
> remember correctly, it was very expensive
> buying it that way. They quoted something
> like 350-400 for the parts for it, that is
> why I paid 350 for another used 5-speed.
> Thanks.

I used a kit made by rpm. this company makes all kinds of transmission parts. from manuals to auto to transfer cases to rear ends. i'm not sure if they're nationwide or just local. i live near seattle, wa. i bought all my parts directly from their warehouse in kent, wa. i can also buy the parts from nw transmissions in tacoma, wa. the shop i work at now won't let me order parts from a warehouse they don't normally deal with so i can't get the stuff from the warehouse at the moment. i have to go through the middle man in tacoma. the warehouse price was about $90. i'm sure i'd pay a little more for retail.

where do you live? i would look through your phone book and call all the transmission repair shops. ask them if they will sell you some parts. most will say no but one or two might sell you some. where do you work? if you're a mechanic or know a mechanic you can order directly from a warehouse for the parts.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I work for a local Engineering firm here in Albuquerque NM. I will indeed call around then and see if I can get it. If not...I do not know. Thanks again for the help.
Joshua L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.