Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am always looking around for more ways to increase power to my Z and have found different ways to do that. This is my latest discovery. I had heard of this before but never knew waht it was till now. this method is called WATER INJECTION. What this process does is inject a water solution into your engine and therefore produce more power. It acctually allows you to set your timing very advanced and not ping. it raises the compression also since water does not loose size when compressed, and lowers your engine temperatures by a whole lot. I don't know of anybody trying it on a z yet but have found sources that use SU carbs just like ours and in line 6 engines, so i dont see why it wouldn't work on ours. I want to try it and will after i break in my new motor. also i have read many articles but this one is the best and is preety clear. at he bottom there is a diagram also. do read and let me nkow what you think. Also if you have tried it share the results.

http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman/mannject.html

·
Registered
402 Posts
It is only practical if you encounter detonation or increase boost levels high or use NOS. The reason being is that the water displaces the oxygen in the air just like high humidity. In most cases using water and advancing the timing (assuming that the timing was correct) will produce negative results on most engines with moderate compression ratios.

·
Registered
64 Posts
what i've understood people that run extream boost with there turbo charged (30psi +) engines use water injection so that they will not get detonation, and other assorted bad things that come with massive boost. with stuff like that you can get 550 and up in the hp and torque range out of the L28.
pretty cool stuff

·
Registered
402 Posts
Unless you have high boost, extremely high compression ratio and or using NOS adding water to the mixture will usually produce negative results. The reason for this is that the moisture displaces the oxygen just like high humidity. On most engines with moderate compression ratios this is still true even if you advance the timing. Assuming that the timing was correct to start with.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Water Injection -- As Old As The Hills

This concept has been around for a long, long time. Saw an upsurge in popularity during the Arab Oil Embargo in early 70s.

Except for the reasons outlined above, I think you are wasting your money. It probably won't hurt your car, and you might even think you notice a difference in mileage. But like most third-party "as advertised on TV" gimmicks, you'll probably get a slight boost in gas mileage simply because you will be driving your car a little differently than in the past.

I'd spend the money on a K&N air filter instead......

·
Registered
226 Posts
want a bad head? then read this.

do a search on "water injection" in the archives. bring up some interesting results. it's not ok to do on a nissan inline six head. to summarize what others have said: there's too much copper in the head and the water will leach it out and make it look like swiss cheese. might be ok if you want to replace your head every year. good luck.
madcowz
ps might work if you inject methanol instead of water.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree to some extent. Yes it should be used on engines where you are affraid of detonation. and i have read in one of tonyD's older posts that after using this system for a year it ruined his head. I plan on using this system with alcohol, which in turn also burns. It has been tried before and does provide power and if not real noticable increase in power the engine temperatures do drop down. I think it pointless to do it on a stock car unless you are truly beating the $#!t out of it. But if you want to push it to extremes like advance timing and race it, it may prove helpful.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well in a way it seems that nobody wants to try this project. what someone wrote in that post was that he drove his car under basicaly extreme pressure. More than normal for a z, and continued that for a whole year. Well no offense but the head may have been turned to swiss cheese, but without water injection it would ahve surely warped bent valves, etc. etc. I will do this on my 3.0L stroker, and i will use alcohol instead of water. And i dont plan on using that setup for more than racing wihic is what the car is for. I plan on figuring out how the water reacts with the copper, and see what bonds it forms, and make sure that the alcohol won't do the same thing.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have a 300zxt w/ intercooler but I have a buddy with a 300zxt who uses water injection. Been using it quite awhile. I don't see what benefits it would have for an n/a car but for turbo's at more than 12 psi it seems to work well.
I'd recommend a K&N filter too ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually there is a great deal of information out there. I have only seen water injection used under extreme boost and supercharger apps. Historically the results are astounding but engine survivability is not good. Mustang fighter engines had water injection for use only in the escape mode. Engines had to be completely rebuilt after use. If it were not abusive I think you would see it on every top fueler out there. Why not nitrous? If you go easy on the bottle you can get a lot of runs before a rebuild. I've always enjoyed dredging melted piston parts out of my oil pan, but what a ride!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree with you guys. If you dont have a tricked out engine requireing it, then don't do it. With my setup i will be forced to use 110 octane most of the time, so i want to use it if i plan to drive it to a meet a couple of hundred miles away. The racegas i usualy get cost about $7 a gallon from 76 stations, or $6 for VP race gas. Immagine how much gas a 3.0L stroker with pleny of work done would do to my wallet. I don't i would never risk on using water but do want to see how alcohol works with tis setup. Its supposed to be the same, right? Has anybody tried alcohol. where can one find methanol

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Re: I've got...

An unused Spearco water injection unit for sale for $60 plus shipping. E-mail me for more info if interested.

Also, see my previous posts about w/i in the archives.

Olds had a turbo F-85 that had w/i std. in the 60's.
We used winshield washer fluid in the winter because it was cheaper than using methanol (shellac thinner) unless we purchased meth. in 55 gal drums.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Water Injection

Water injection is like a cheap form of intercooling for turbo cars that for some reason or another don't have an intercooler. Seems to work but if the water bottle runs out and you have lots of boost you are in trouble. If it was me i'd use nos because it comes out cold and cools the intake air (like the water) and gives more power.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: want a bad head? then read this.

don't inject methanol it attracts too much water and will help to corrod the inside of your engine. Instead inject ethanol. good ol whisky ought to due the trick, well without the water in it. or anything that would be 200 proof ethanol has about 108 octane.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Re: Water Injection

in the mid west you can buy E85 which is 85% entanol and 15% gasoline. not that expensive considering it has around 108 octane.

warning stay out of meth it will corrod everything, unless you completely get it out of the system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.