ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Haynes manual it looks as though the voltage regulator is adjustable. Can the output be adjusted? Would this solve my dim headlight prob? It just looks as though I am not getting enough from the alt when the extra pull of the head lights is there. i have cleaned all the connections that I can think of and replaced alot of other parts. This is my last attempt to solve this prob before I go to a smaller pulley. I have been putting that off for last.
Thanks for any advice

Craig76Z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> According to the Haynes manual it looks as
> though the voltage regulator is adjustable.
> Can the output be adjusted? Would this solve
> my dim headlight prob? It just looks as
> though I am not getting enough from the alt
> when the extra pull of the head lights is
> there. i have cleaned all the connections
> that I can think of and replaced alot of
> other parts. This is my last attempt to
> solve this prob before I go to a smaller
> pulley. I have been putting that off for
> last.
> Thanks for any advice

> Craig76Z

Hi Craig, here is what the nissan 76 service manual says:
Trouble Diagnoses:
Low Output-Loose or worn fan belt, sticking brushes, low brush spring tension, voltage regulator break down, dirty slip rings, partial short or grounded rotor winding, open or damaged diode.

Regulator Adjustment:
1. Inspect contact surface, an if rough, lightly polish with fine emery paper-#500-600
2. Measure each gap and adjust as necessary. Adjust core gap and point gap in that order. No adjustment is required for yoke gap.
3. Core gap adjustment-0.024 to 0.039 in
4 Point gap adjustment-0.014 to 0.018 in (slightly differnt than the Haynes manual)
5. Adjusting regulating voltage - loosen lock nut securing adjusting screw. Turn this screw clockwise to increase, or counter clockwise to decrease. regulating volatage (with fully charged battery) 14.3 to 25.3 V.

Also, have you checked the charge relay? The book says adjustment is the same procedure as the regulator.

Charge Relay Specs:
Release Voltage - 4.2 to 5.2 V at N terminal
Voltage coil resistance - 37.8 ohms at 68 degree F
Core Gap - 0.031 to 0.039 in
Poin Gap - 0.016 to 0.024 in

Hope this help, good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.