ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1986 nissan 300zx that looks awesome and for the most part works. However recently the voice warning system for the right door has gone beserk and will not stop going off continiously. if anyone has had this problem and resolved please try and give me a hand. I'm not sure how much longer I can stand the monotonus female voice it makes being in my very nice car embarassing.

Some things I have tried:
-sticking various things on the "sensor" that the door closes on.
-removing and switching the "sensor" or switch between the right and left doors to see if the switch might be broken.
-removing various fuses as listed in the haynes manual I purchased.

I am currently considering disconnecting the left speaker (the voice seems to come from here) as a temporary solution as well as driving the car off a cliff (a longer term solution) - please help me!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I know what your problem is...Look at your door bumper on the passenger side. It is probably detiorated enough so that the plunger doesn't push in enough to think that the door is closed. Solution: buy some new door bumpers from Victoria british for like $1.95 a piece. Simple fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I educated myself about "bitching betty" and following a guide someone wrote I have managed to remove her. I know nothing about cars or electronics so this took a while and sucked. With the little grey box removed I get no more verbal interruptions period. There is now a new problem though. with the removal of what I THINK is bitching betty I now no longer recieve music through the left front speaker (the place betty's sweet voice used eminate from). I believe I read that for the proper operation of this speaker an output wire from betty must be removed? If anyone can elaborate on which wires going to betty should be cut in order to have sound in the left front speaker it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've never been in there but it's my understanding that the sound comes from the radio and goes through bitchy betty to the speaker. So if you remove betty then you should have to rehook the speaker wires together to get sound from the radio to the speaker.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
the left front speaker wires from the stereo went into betty. then they came out of betty and to the speaker. in order for betty to function properly, she'd stop the signal from the stereo and input her own signal to that speaker.

you have to jumper four wires to complete the circuit. there should be two solid blue and two blue with white stripe wires on the plug that betty plugged into. connect blue to blue and blue/white to blue/white and you should be all set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah so simple even I can understand it; thank you all! I took some pictures of betty so that others who need to find and remove her can do it easily and be sure they have the right box removed. I'm not sure if posting pictures on a thread is possible here so here is a brief description of MY betty: It is a small 3 1/4'' X 4 1/4'' X 1'' metal box with a cheap black plastic cover (covering about 1/2 of the unit). One face is completely covered with insulation. Under the insulation is a sticker that says "Audible warning" and "dont drop" on it (as well as some other japanese characters and numbers which are presumably part numbers - not sure on this). The key here is removing the insulation so that you can read the sticker. Attatched to betty is a mounting bracket (just mentioning this for clarity).

If you dont know how to locate betty just search this site and read a thread like I had to do. Yes, you can do it, chances are you know more about cars than I do and I figured it out

Lastly, thank you AZ_Zbum for a clear solution to my speaker problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I miss my bitching betty! Why? because mine was a french ***** from Ontario Canada (where my car is from) and is sounded oh so sweet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.