ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My differential has been leaking since I got my car. I finally got around to replacing the cover gasket and filling it with some redline. However, it has been less than a week since I did that and it is still leaking. It is not coming from the cover gasket. It is something further up towards the transmission. But I am sure the gear oil is coming from the differential. Is there another gasket of some sort up there that should be routinely replaced as well? I did not see anything, so if anyone has advice or suggestions I would appreciate them.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
yes, there are three actually that could be leaking, it could be either the side seals where the half shafts plug into the diff. or it could be the pinion seal which is where the drive shaft connects to the diff.
click on this link and scroll down look at the 17th picture from bottom and you'll see the seals
<http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=6354486&uid=1353268&members=1>

Post Edited (Jul 1, 6:03am)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, thanks! That was actually very helpful to look at those pictures. I know that it is not the either of the two side seals for the half shafts. Any where it looks like it is coming from I would say it is for sure the pinion seal. do I have to remove the entire differential to replace this? I hate that my FSM says nothing about the VLSD.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I noticed the same problem this week, while replacing my wheels/tires. When they put the car on the lift and removed the rear tires, a small puddle of gear oil began to pool underneath the rear driver side. I checked it out.....nice to have access to a lift.....and it turns out that one of the rubber boots on the halfshaft was leaking.

I'd never noticed a leak over there before, but I did notice that I was losing fluid in my diff. I guess the reduced pressure on the halfshaft allowed the leak to show itself? Check that out if you can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The leak is coming from the front of the differential. I am sure that it is the front oil seal. One of my buddies father-in-law has a lift, I think this is one job where I will be going over there to use it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks th2thmansZ. I checked my FSM and it looks to be like it won't be too bad of a job once I get it on a lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.