ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted re: discrepencies with the VIN and door jamb sticker on my parts car. Well I found out the problem. The car is a 1983 280zxt but the VIN tag and the tag on the fire wall and the door jamp all said it was an 81. The tag on the fire wall also indicated it was a non-turbo, but had a turbo motor etc.

BTW I'm positive that Greg, the guy I bought it from, had no idea.

All the ID seems to have been changed on purpose. In case you are not aware the VIN is also stamped on the fire wall. When I ran this number, BINGO, an 1983 turbo, with all the proper attachments.

So if purchasing a Z and you are not sure of what your getting check the number stamped on the fire wall, it should agree with the dash tag and the metal tag riveted to the fire wall.

I love working an these cars! I learn new things every day.

Kevin

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Same Problem

I was buying a lein sale 240, and while checking the VIN before the sale noted that there WASN"T a VIN on the firewall!!!! Knowing this was NOT correct, I whipped out my knife and chipped in the area the VIN should've been. Found aone that didn't match the dash, door, or enginebay tag! So I told the auctioneer, who was most grateful.
90 days later, the car was up again, and I got it for $125, after the auctioneer said "125 dollars? Goingoncetwicethreetimessoldprivate!" and pointed to me, smiling! Help those who need it, and they will help you back!
Unfortunately, in the 90 days it sat for reverification of the new VIN, the bumpers turned up missing, a dent apperared in the driver's door, and the laft quarter, and the left tail light got broken out. Oh well, it had a late -model five speed semi-installed, and that is in my 260 right now...

I bought another car up in Arcadia for $500, and was out in Phoenix gas-axing it to it's demise before I realized someone had put a right quarter on the car, and that the tag in the door didn't match the dash, engine and Firewall vin!

Always verify that ALL the tags match the VIN on the firewall BEFORE money changes hands..

· Registered
1,298 Posts
Since you now know that the original VIN you thought you had, is in fact a different one, you might DISCRETELY check into both.

I mean discretely because if one or the other numbers are from a stolen car, then you may have a huge problem on your hands.

I have no idea where you'd go to have this done, or what to do in either case. However, with the Vin# having been changed, then you need to make sure that you have "Good Title".

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As I was importing the car into Canada, I had the vendor get me clear title to the car. The local sherriff came out and checked the dash VIN and gave it a thumbs up. This tells me at least the "new" tags were good. And the car is legally in Canada.

Anyway the shell has gone to the crusher. Unfortunately, there was more rust holes than swiss cheese. But Murphy's Law says if you get rid of a part, then that part will break on your road car! So I have kept most.

I will be building up the motor, in the next year, hopefully to about 350hp. But, of course, this costs money.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.