ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we have a 3/2 header into 2 inch pipe going down from that into 1-5/8 inch pipe at the first bend towards the muffler to the stock replacement 1-5/8 small twin pipe 14x6 muffler. we do not have that resonator in the middle of the exhaust system. the exhaust is very restrictive right now, but sounds pretty good considering. i bet we are losing at least 15-20 HP with that tiny exhaust on there. we are headed to the muffler shop soon to go with 2-1/2 inch from the header all the way back into a bigger turbo muffler.

engine picture

Post Edited (Oct 9, 5:57pm)

·
Registered
207 Posts
nice car... just wondering reacent purchase? i have a feeling i have seen this car fairly recently

and a its a beautiful car. my dad an i are working on one right now... love father sone projects its a blast.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
car was purchased a couple months ago for my son in the San Francisco east bay area.

that is Mt. Diablo (Walnut Creek city side) in the background in the video

had quite a few quirks to be fixed and "engine adjustments" to be made.

the carbs were way out of sync and idle mixture was horrible and engine was performing terrible, but reading up on SU carbs was new to me, but was very easy to learn and then adjusted them in less than 45 minutes.

just somewhat easy to fix but pain in the butt to track down problems made a huge difference in performance with this car.

Post Edited (Oct 9, 5:54pm)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this thing just flat out hauls butt now since i got the distributor timing dialed in and the carbs adjusted right. it pulls hard all the way off idle to 7K now and idles great at 800.

i know its choking with the small diameter exhaust pipe, but that will be changed soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nice car! Hope you and the son plan on keeping it orange, my personel favorite. I spotted Mt. Diablo in your video, I see if from a distance on my way to work (Vacaville). Good to see you got it performing the way it should be...proper tuning can make such a big difference. Checkout my '72 at
http://home.comcast.net/~thcastro

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think i have talked him into keeping it orange!

it was going to be a V8 conversion but he now wants a 3.1 stroker or stroker turbo.

we live in Martinez so you are close it might be cool sometime to get some Z's together on a weekend locally around here.

im having a ton of fun with this car, but it is my sons car...<sigh>

Post Edited (Oct 10, 11:38am)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahhh the doughnuts...

i told my son none of those!

i never understood the want or desire to do doughnuts in any car. pretty boring....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.