ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about making a VG33ET for my car. Obviousely I need a VG33 block, but is there anything that I would need to do to the block itself to make it fit? Is there a difference in the crankshafts of any of the VG motors, I plan to use a Z32 TT crank and need to know if it is an upgrade or just more expensive? Will the pistons (forged, aftermarket) for a VG30ET fit, to lower the compresson? Will the heads from a Z31 Turbo fit? I plan on doing a complete out of car engine build up, so I can still drive it while I'm building the motor. Any and all help/info appreciated GREATLY. Also, does anybody know where I can get a VG33 block cheap?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I thought a VG33 was never truely produced but are just bored over VG30's

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well, this is what I have come up with over the past few months about the VG33. Plz don't quote me on any of this as i'm just recalling this from my memory. Im 98% sure there was never a VG33ET that was made. They made a VG33 that was 3.3 Liters. It offers 10% more displacement (free 10% more power). The engine (VG33) was made for pathfinders in some odd # of years. For some reason I want to say they were put in the 88-93's but thats probably wrong. I think thats probably refering to the intake manifold that some ppl like to put on their z31's but might very well match up with the engine as well :-D)
Anyway, as far as I know the VG33 has the same setup as the VG30. So if you were to turn the VG33 into a turbo (essentially a VG33ET), my guess is it would be very similar to converting a VG30E to a VG30ET. So, I wonder if you couldnt use the same parts from a VG30ET, used to convert a VG30E to a VG30ET, on your VG33 to make it turbocharged (again essentially VG33ET) I beleive the parts needed for that are :

Down Pipe
Front Cross Member
All the stuff from the air flow meter to the throttle body
Turbocharger
exhaust manifold
turbo charger
drivers side engine mount
oil pan
alternator mount
oil pan
turbo ecu
turbo oil lines
turbo fuel injectors
and some gaskets

That prolly means ud want to have a VG30ET spair also. And if you were to have a VG30ET spair, why not just use that lol. If your really looking for a ton of power go with a VG30ETT (i think its name is) from a z32. It can fit in.
Anyway, its alot of work and I just made SOOOOO MANY ASSUMPTIONS when I said all that stuff. SO PLZ GET A SECOND OPPINION. But logically in my mind, converting a VG33 to a VG33ET would be remarkably similar to VG30E to VG30ET, seeing as how the VG30E is remarkably similar to the VG33. Now some1 is gonna come and tell me im completely wrong and I'm a complete moron. At least I'll learn something from the ordeal :-D. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know that, I knew that before I even owned a Z. The reason I'm asking these questions is because I want to MAKE a VG33ET, and put it in my ALREADY turbo Z31. I'm doing this for 2 reasons:
1) Larger displacement motor mean more power, and
2) I want to COMPLETELY build the motor, and my Z is my only car. So, I would need an extra motor to build while I drive the Z.

In other words, I'm gonna build an awesome motor for my car, then drop it in when it's ready. I am also going to make modifications to the car that will not change with the motors while I drive it (i.e. suspension, Kaminari kit, and such) Does everybody understand that? I'm just a little tired of people telling me that there was never a VG33ET made by Nissan, and not answering the questions that I have politely asked. The only two that have answered them are 88Hybrid and es3, and I thank you guys.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well allot of the sites I've checked out say, and let me quote z31.com

Quote from Z31.com:
Best bang for the buck is to start with a low mile vg33 engine - 10% more displacement means 10% more power for free. If you have unlimited money start with the NisMo heads.

and sure i'll throw the more elaborated version in as well:
The engine is plenty strong. A stock engine in good condition will easily support well over 400 horsepower with proper tuning(ie. don't let it knock!). A set of quality pistons will enable your otherwise stock engine to safely support 500+ horsepower with proper tuning.

If you're going to build an engine, do it right. Start with a vg33 to get the extra 10% displacement over a vg30 and you'll have 10% more power for free! Good pistons to lower the 9:1 vg33 compression ratio and good cams to replace the low-speed cam grind used in trucks and you've got a pretty good engine. Rebello, Sunbelt, and Malvern racing all build wonderfull Nissan engines, expect to pay around $5k for a basic high-quality reliable streetable engine.

Note that turbocharged engines have vastly different camshaft requirements compared to non-turbo engine due to the high exhaust backpressure and much higher pressures at the intake ports. JWT makes some very nice(and expensive!) turbo cams, as do Web, Isky, etc. Skip the lopey cams intended for a non-turbo on your car and make sure you get some turbo cams.

I've been reading up on some information and trying to find out exactly how similar the VG30E is to the VG33E and how much moding to the car it would take, if any at all. I didn't find anything except they are "similar" and are different versions based off of another motor. I did find a site here that has some nice information on how to get a hold of each of the different engines. This is the info from the VG33E

...the VG33E is a 3.3L (3275 cc) version built in Smyrna, TN. Bore is 91.5 mm and stroke is 83 mm. Output is 180 hp at 4800 RPM with 202 ft.lb of torque at 2800 RPM. It has an cast iron engine block and aluminum SOHC cylinder heads. It uses SFI fuel injection, has 2 valves per cylinder with roller followers and features forged steel connecting rods, a one-piece cast camshaft, and a cast aluminum intake manifold.
Applications:
...1996–2000 Nissan Pathfinder
...2000–2004 Nissan Frontier
...2000–2004 Nissan Xterra

Also, while there is not a VG33ET, there is a VG33ER (or VG33S), which I did not know about. It is basically the supercharged version of the VG33E, produces 210 hp, blah blah blah. It's all on the site that i linked you to earlier, here. I could have sworn the VG33's were in earlier versions of the pathfinder. But according to the site it started in 1996. Perhaps I'm thinking of the VG33. But anyway, my guess is that the motor differs quite a bit seeing as how its used in a 1996. In 10 years, they probably altered the engine quite a bit, but thats just my assumption. But check around like I've been doing. As the guy who made redz31.com says (jason i think his name is?), somebody has always done it before you. Chances are they made a site or sumthin. You just gotta ask around and find it :-D. Good luck, and I'll keep lookin around and helping anyway I can.

EDIT: AHHH can't get quotes to work. I'll space 'em out a little more. lol. Any1 know what I'm doing wrong?

Post Edited (Jun 25, 12:06am)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.