ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get my 79zx flywheel resurfaced when I noticed that there where quiet a few, very small cracks near the center of the flywheel surface. Is this flywheel any good ? I'm not for certain that they are even cracks, they just appear to be.

Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
830 Posts
Its pretty common, the guy resurfacing it will be the best judge, then look at it when he's done, it should be pretty smooth, with the grinding patterns barely visable, and no visable cracks.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
This is called heat checking and it is common if the flywheel has been severely used. It could be dangerous and the only way to be sure if it is usable is to closely inspect it after it is re-surfaced; but I am not optimistic that it can be salvaged.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Exploding flywheel hazard...

is extremely dangerous. Most of us value our legs and lower torsos. Shrapnel from flywheel will fly off in plane of rotation somewhere between your knees and ankles.

This is usually a concern for dragstrip action folks, but also serious issue for anyone wants to run their L6 up to or above 7k redline.

If you keep that one. NO EXTREME DRIVING !

------- Al

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: Exploding flywheel hazard...

I saw one come apart and a chunk flew 100 yds and through a windshild and killed a young lady in the front seat of a parked car , it went through the back of the front seat and ended in the back seat!!! It is not worth taking a chance . Gary Portland or

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.