ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had the fuel injectors replaced today. The car still runs rough. This really, really, really sucks.
I have replaced:
Injectors
Aux Air Regulator
Plugs
Plug Cables
Cap & Rotor
... and spent well over $1500.
Rising Sun checked it from top to bottom previous to my replacing injectors and said it is running lean. The fuel pressure was fine. He checked the connections, vacuum lines, etc. Also said if injectors didn't do the trick, next bet would be the AFM. Which I'm sure is also very, very expensive. Why can't anyone fix my car!!?? I'm about to give up ... I really can't afford to spend money anymore for quite some time, and in the mean time I am driving a 280 that runs like crap with only 18K miles on it!!!

Crap!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Im no expert on this, but

what about possible varnish and gunk in the fuel lines. You said its 15 years old with only 18000 miles, it must have been in storage for a while. Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Son, look at your AFM. There is a black cover on one side of it. Pop the cover off and you will see a variable electrical pick up. As the AFM moves the needle moves across this stationary pick up. Spray the whole area with contact cleaner from Radio shack (that's all thery're good for) and move the trap door in the AFM and make sure you have good contact. The Z's are notorious for running rough like that after they have been sitting. Check the contacts on other hook ups and make sure they have a clean contact. I would bet that would do it. It worked on mine. No new injectors, just a spray of contact cleaner and drive it around to work out the cob webs. It'll run better as time goes on.

Later,
LuZZifer
Ya'll know what I got.;)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Don't fret too bad if it is the AFM. Motorsport in CA. will sell you a rebuilt one for just under $200. I had to replace mine and was under the same impression, that I would have to give up body parts for it!

It is easy to check with an Ohm meter. Someone should know the pins and readings, if not e-mail me and I will look them up for you.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Very depressed -- semi-stored 83T</b>

Hang in there. As I posted just above, my car had sat unstarted for two years. It coughed and sputtered quite a bit, but some driving (plus the usual tuneup stuff) got it going smooth again.

I don't know if you're near a self-serve junkyard, but you can get parts pretty cheap there. I don't know what AFMs go for, but it might be worth it to grab a used one off a same-year car and swap it with yours to see if that's the problem. It's solved many of my problems (and created a few), plus I have spares of just about every gizmo on the engine in case they ever go bad.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY JOHN! (stored car)

John!
What was your car? A turbo? What all did you do to get it running right, and how long did it take?
Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm especially interested in trying the cleaner on the AFM. I guess I'll just have to try to do more of the work myself and find ways to cut corners on parts.

Thanks again!
Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.